Incomplete impacted crop treatment - please help!

If they will take the bread, I'd say go for it! I've tried with mine and it's like a snatching free for all, so one hen I know ended up with 3 doses. She was quite pleased about being able to snarf down her flockmates meds, she lived to tell the tale, so eh....from now on I just syringe it into them 😂 😂

If they will take the bread, I'd say go for it! I've tried with mine and it's like a snatching free for all, so one hen I know ended up with 3 doses. She was quite pleased about being able to snarf down her flockmates meds, she lived to tell the tale, so eh....from now on I just syringe it into them 😂 😂
LOL I can try taking them out, one at a time and give them their bread.
Laney is so good, she even ate her stool softener when I rubbed some coconut oil on it! And I gave her the miconazole on bread. She thought it was a big treat!

Quick question: I got 7 nice eggs today. And it's been a looong time since Ive gotten this many in a day. I just started Safe guard, this morning. Since the eggs were already formed and ready to be laid, would it be safe to keep these 7 eggs? I'll be tossing eggs for a long time. Just hoping

20230703_160103.jpg

Holy COW, the drama! No more bread. I'll just squirt the stuff in their mouths. Gotta go take s shower, now. Sheesh!
Do tell! 🤣

I would eat the eggs laid this morning those were already in process way before the meds were given.

Some folks eat the eggs when treating with fenbendazole, others don't.

Do tell! 🤣

I would eat the eggs laid this morning those were already in process way before the meds were given.

Some folks eat the eggs when treating with fenbendazole, others don't.
RIRs to not like being held, and they certainly do not like taking meds! I think today was worse than yesterday. By the time I got out of the coop, there was as much poop on me as there was in the droppings box! But at least I was smart enough to wear sleeves, this time 🙄

Thank you Wyorp. Yay, on the 1st day of eggs 🙂

Oh, BTW - Laney still has a very small mass in her crop, but it is responding to the protocol after a single dose and massage, now. This little lady is very good about taking her meds. She doesn't like the Safe Guard syringe, but - she totally looks forward to the rest!

So... there's my silver lining. And it's such a relief to see my flock pooping more normally, again - even if I'm wearing half of it

No, your flock isn't falling apart. You've been alert, and that's half the battle won. Impacted crop doesn't immediately resolve in one day. You've made a great start, and next you need to get this crop back in balance.

Start by encouraging this hen to consume some grit. Next, give her a probiotic tablet each day for the next several days. Encourage her to drink plenty of water.

Continue to monitor her crop each morning. We won't abandon you. As this progresses, you'll get the support you need.
Following.Have similar situation, have followed azygous article.Will start my own thread as I have some additional questions. I’m not sure if this is the appropriate way to post but I didn’t want to get overlooked thanks

RIRs to not like being held, and they certainly do not like taking meds! I think today was worse than yesterday. By the time I got out of the coop, there was as much poop on me as there was in the droppings box! But at least I was smart enough to wear sleeves, this time 🙄

Thank you Wyorp. Yay, on the 1st day of eggs 🙂
Oh dear, your going from bad to worse!

I go out early while it's still pretty dark and take them off the roost one by one.

I rarely get pooped on, but if I do, it's usually in winter when I'm wearing my big brown ugly coat with the big pockets full of stuff that I think I just have to carry around - of course the pocket will be OPEN and the bird will unload into it....oh yeah, but you didn't know this until you reach your hand in the pocket. Yeah, good times 🤣

Dawg53 explains giving meds better than I can. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-open-beak.1517086/post-25532937

Back
Top Bottom