Incomplete impacted crop treatment - please help!

You probably should stop the coconut oil and stool softeners. She will become dependent on them. Go back to relying on grit, water and probiotics. If the crop starts filling again overnight rather than emptying, she may need a flushing of her system.
Will do. Thanks. This morning, she had just a very small, but soft mass in her crop. Should I continue with the monostat?

Edit: is there a video on "flushing"?

Last edited:
BTW, lots of green poop in the droppings box, this morning. I did not let the girls free range yesterday, but they did, the day before. Could grass take that long to digest?

Also... yellow urates, again. I'm thinking it's from Gerty. I will start going out after dark, and jotting down their roosting positions, again. It doesn't vary, much. But, I'd like to know for sure

Stop the Monistat. There should be no yeast left. If there's material stubbornly remaining in the crop, it may move through as other food is consumed. Yes, grass can be very difficult to digest. The cellulose in grass will not break down. If that has formed a blockage that doesn't clear in the next three or four days, we will try the flush.

I know of no videos on flushing. One method is simple. Give a fourth of a cup of warm water with one teaspoon of Epsom salt dissolved in it as the only water source until the chicken drinks it all.

The other more drastic flush is done by tubing. This is done twice a day for three days, half a cup of solution each tubing. You will need to find a tube feeding kit, usually sold by a vet for a few dollars. I will instruct how to do it if we reach that point.

Meanwhile offer grated carrot, boiled rice and raw egg stirred in, to get the crop moving.

It's odd. She still has a very small mass in her crop that isn't passing. And it seems she is tiring of the coconut oil. But I'm still getting the stool softener, pro-biotic and monistat in her.

One of my other girls had some poops with yellow-ish urates, yesterday. I think it was my Gerty, who is having some reproductive issues. I'm about go go out and check on the dropping box, now.
Give her time it will pass from her crop too .
One time my other rooster ate a big bite of apple that get stuck in this crop for 2 days all things were passing except the apple piece i give him only probiotics and it cleared the 2nd day but massage always help

BTW, lots of green poop in the droppings box, this morning. I did not let the girls free range yesterday, but they did, the day before. Could grass take that long to digest?

Also... yellow urates, again. I'm thinking it's from Gerty. I will start going out after dark, and jotting down their roosting positions, again. It doesn't vary, much. But, I'd like to know for sure
Yellow urates is mostly dehydration

Stop the Monistat. There should be no yeast left. If there's material stubbornly remaining in the crop, it may move through as other food is consumed. Yes, grass can be very difficult to digest. The cellulose in grass will not break down. If that has formed a blockage that doesn't clear in the next three or four days, we will try the flush.

I know of no videos on flushing. One method is simple. Give a fourth of a cup of warm water with one teaspoon of Epsom salt dissolved in it as the only water source until the chicken drinks it all.

The other more drastic flush is done by tubing. This is done twice a day for three days, half a cup of solution each tubing. You will need to find a tube feeding kit, usually sold by a vet for a few dollars. I will instruct how to do it if we reach that point.

Meanwhile offer grated carrot, boiled rice and raw egg stirred in, to get the crop moving.
Agreed

Last night her crop was big and hard, again 😞
It so hard to even get a syring of medicine in these girls. I'm sure a molasses flush would never work.

I think I need to hear more about the fennel tea. How do you make it? How do you administer it?

Laney absolutely loved the rice, carrot, egg treat

It may be time for you to learn tube feeding and to try copper sulfate for this stubborn crop. Can you ask around the vets in your area for a small animal feed tubing kit? I got one for $3 from my vet. You can make your own with oxygen or aquarium tubing, but the trick is to find a syringe to fit it that also has at least a 10ml capacity.

The copper sulfate can be ordered online here. https://jedds.com/products/acidified-copper-sulfate-animal-science?_pos=1&_sid=d34a4c781&_ss=r

The way I suggest we go from here is to give a probiotic each day, and tube half a cup of copper sulfate solution into your hen twice a day for the next week, and give her the solution to drink as her only water source during this period.

This morning, Laney's crop was full and hard, again. Not as big as it was, yesterday. And it softened more quickly as I repeated the protocol. We still ended up with a pliable, egg-sized crop mass. But, I am overall happy with our progress. At least I know she can now get some nutrition, and has been pooping some grass..

I started her on the probiotics, last night. I'm seeing her drink water. I haven seen her eat grit, but someone sure is making a mess around the grit and oyster shell dishes!

She's such a good girl with the chilled coconut oil. She just eats it right from the dish. And although she does not like being held, she seems to enjoy the massage, once I get her settled. I rock and sing to her, and she actually closed her eyes and nodded off for a moment
What kind of probiotics did you get?

Back
Top Bottom