inconsiderate people rant

egglicious

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
WTHeck is wrong with people?

Yesterday my hubby and I took a long drive to visit some friends who for as long as I can remember have never come to visit us. Whatever. We get there, walk in, and the house smells like a wet dog, with a thick layer of dog hair on EVERYTHING. Before you go calling me a snob let me say I have two dogs and just love them to pieces. But seriously, you know that vacuum in your closet? It ain't for decoration. For the love of all that is good please clean your house. You don't have to go crazy just break out the swiffer why don't ya'? Would it kill you? Disgusting!!!!

So, we get there with our young son and the first thing we find out is that their youngest is sick. Throughout the evening it becomes clear from all the coughing that the whole family, including the nanny, has been sick recently. Ugh!!! I mean, if my kid is sick I do try and warn people before they come over. Am I alone in this? I am not a germaphobe by any stretch of the imagination but we are getting on a plane in two days and really don't want to risk it. Would it kill them to give us some warning??? UGH.

So, then we order dinner. Remember, we have driven an hour to see these folks. After we place the phone order my husband asks if he needed some cash for our share. It was the polite thing to do.. and the polite thing for them to do would be to decline being as we drove a very' hour to see them and did I mention they owe us money!!! But no, they said yes to the cash offer. I know, I know, we should have just had the guts to be honest and upfront. But we didn't and now I'm taking the low road and griping about it under an alias over the internet.

When we got home we washed all our clothes immediately. Took it out of the dryer and the dog hair was still all over them. GROSS.

Sorry. Really, they are nice people... but sometimes I wonder why we put out so much of an effort for so little in return.

Rant over! Thanks for listening.

I feel your pain, lol! I'm a huge animal lover, have lots of them - indoors too. However, the last thing I want is my house to look or smell like a kennel. That being said, I'm much more tolerant of other peoples' homes. To each his own. That doesn't mean I want to sit in a gob of dog hair either though, yuck! I am a germaphobe, so yes, I understand not wanting to be around sick people. I think it was very inconsiderate of them not to inform you that they had an illness in the home. I'm assuming they knew you were coming? If not, then I can see the dirty, hairy house, and the non-notification of sick people in the house. As for paying for the dinner, I always assume we are paying half, wether we should or not. Granted, they should of catered to you guys, since you made the long trip out there, but sometimes folks are clueless in those situations. Sounds to me that maybe you guys should consider asking them to come visit you next time?

The house was clean the day before, you just missed it today.
big_smile.png
I'm sure they had a sign up.
cool.png

Thanks, ya'll. I feel a little guilty right now because they are nice folks. I just get a little hurt when we put so much effort into maintaining friendships and obviously don't get the same in return.

And seriously, the dog hair was OFF THE HOOK. I am no clean freak but still!! Lol. I was already wearing clothes and did not need a fur coat.

Quote:
If the friendship is a one way street..... I think you have the answer right there. Gradually back off, just keep in touch with emails or something.

I can totally understand abut the paying for dinner thing. I had a friend come visit me, yes I know he came here, but he invited me to dinner in my town , cause he wanted a restaurant that he didnt have where he was from. So when the waitress came around and asked if it was together, my friend said separate checks. My jaw dropped. It was a nicer restaurant then I would have gone to if I had known I was gonna have to pay for mine. I had no cash and my credit card was already busting at the seams. Luckly it went through but, e gads, when a friend invites me to dinner, and a guy friend at that, I figured he would pay.

Quote:
If the friendship is a one way street..... I think you have the answer right there. Gradually back off, just keep in touch with emails or something.

Yeah, I would do that but these are my husband's friends and he considers them like family. As we all know family gets away with a lot before getting dumped. I just need to open my heart (and close my nose and bring some of those rolling hair picker upper things) next time.

Quote:

Yeah, I would do that but these are my husband's friends and he considers them like family. As we all know family gets away with a lot before getting dumped. I just need to open my heart (and close my nose and bring some of those rolling hair picker upper things) next time.

How about meeting in a public place where you can hang out for a long time, like quiet restaurant or a park?
You are kind to keep them though.

Quote:
Oh man! I hate that. One time some friends of our INSISTED we meet them for lunch at a winery even though we had our baby with us. The only thing we could order him was a chicken breast, which was $20. Our half of the meal was over $100!! And we wanted to meet at a coffee shop or something. I am not against a fine meal but not with my one year old at a place that has white table cloths and smooth jazz playing in the background. I told my husband as we drove home that there better be gold in my son's diaper. There wasn't!!!

Of course this happened after we drove over an hour to meet them.
barnie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom