Increase Humidity or not during dry hatch incubating?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by indigo flats, Feb 11, 2017.

1. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    On dry incubation the humidity is to remain low somewhere between 20 and 35 percent but the correct humidity in the incubator insures that the bubble does not grow to a certain degree by the time the embryo is ready to hatch, but that the air bubble does not enlarge to the point of depleting the fluids that are necessary for the final growth of the embryo. Ok I am not sure what the growth rate of the air bubble should be in dry incubation. On day seven when candling my eggs which they are showing veining the air bubble seemed to be way too large. It has depleted a good bit of moisture and am wondering if this moisture that was loss is detrimental to the growth of the embryo. I have brought my humidity up to 41% and am contemplating on moving it higher but before I do I was going to try and get the thoughts of those on BYC which will guide my determination on what I should do. First: Question on moving the humidity higher at this stage of incubation would it slow up the shrinking of the air bubble without hurting the growing embryo? Second: Do I increase humidity or not? Now this is a dry run on anticipating of hatching some turkey eggs so these chicks are my gage on if I have learnt enough to be successful at hatching turkey eggs.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I will have to let some one that dry incubates answer your question. I have hatched 1000's and 1000's and 1000's and have never tried dry incubating. I keep my humidity around 35% for the incubation then around 75% for the hatch and hatch close 100%(95 to 100) every hatch, So I am not going to change the way I do it. I will say that if I needed to remove all the water because it was above 35 to 40% I would----but I have never had to do that. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by