Incubating and brooding Impeyan chicks

AB03Sam

Songster
5 Years
Dec 30, 2018
Alberta, Canada
I’m trying to prepare for the upcoming season and was wondering if anyone on here has experience incubating and brooding Impeyan chicks. I have had an Impeyan hen raise her own chicks, but I haven’t been successful yet myself. My biggest question/concern is what temperature to start them at when they come out of the incubator and how much to lower the temp. each week. Also, what type of housing should I have for them once they are able to be moved outside? Any advice is so appreciated.

I’m trying to prepare for the upcoming season and was wondering if anyone on here has experience incubating and brooding Impeyan chicks. I have had an Impeyan hen raise her own chicks, but I haven’t been successful yet myself. My biggest question/concern is what temperature to start them at when they come out of the incubator and how much to lower the temp. each week. Also, what type of housing should I have for them once they are able to be moved outside? Any advice is so appreciated.
I have never raised or own Impeyan pheasants...the weather here in South Texas is not favorable for a quality life.
That having been said, there requirements for brooding are not any different than any other pheasant or gamebird.

After they have dried off and fluffed up in the incubator, they can be moved to a brooder. Temperature in the brooder should be around 95°F at the chicks level for the 1st week. The temperature can be lowered by 5°F per week until the ambient temperature is 70°F or the chicks have become completely feathered and no longer need assistance in controlling their body temperature.

When moving from brooder to permanent housing, a large, well landscaped enclosure will be needed to ensure the health and well being of the pheasants is being met. With pheasants, and really all gamebirds the bigger the enclosure the better.
I house my birds in 300 sq.ft. enclosures with lots of pheasant furniture, ie; large smooth rocks, stumps, limbs, grasses, small shrubs, etc. I typically run 1 rooster to 5 or 6 hens per enclosure.
The enclosure, depending on your location should also provide protection from the weather, plenty of shade if in a hot region, protection from the rain, snow and wind....they don't always use a sheltered area but it should be available to them if they choose.

As I said, "I haven't raised Impeyans before" ....but from every thing I have read or heard from other breeders, they like to dig, burrow. This makes it imperative that you have a wire apron surrounding the enclosure, not only to keep the birds from digging out but to keep predators from digging into the enclosure. HTH
@The Phantom , may be able to give you better advice, as she raises Impeyans.

Thanks for the advice @007Sean!

Starting the chicks at 95 degrees and then lowering them 5 degrees every week is what I was curious about.

My breeders do have nice big aviaries with
furniture, a small shelter and a wire apron surrounding the enclosure. I think I will build something like that for the chicks to be housed in until I can sex and sell them. Hopefully I can hatch something.

They do love to dig, its hard to keep grass in their pens. I keep my adults in pairs as I’ve read that is best with Impeyans.

Thanks for the advice @007Sean!

Starting the chicks at 95 degrees and then lowering them 5 degrees every week is what I was curious about.

My breeders do have nice big aviaries with
furniture, a small shelter and a wire apron surrounding the enclosure. I think I will build something like that for the chicks to be housed in until I can sex and sell them. Hopefully I can hatch something.

They do love to dig, its hard to keep grass in their pens. I keep my adults in pairs as I’ve read that is best with Impeyans.
Good luck and Best wishes to you and your birds.

They also need to be Ina screen pen so mosquitoes can't get to them as they are susepticle to West Nile.They do love to dig but don't seem to try and dig out.
In N.H.,Tony.I'm back

Well are they at least breeding them?I had a male for 6 years bought 2 hens 3 years ago both died.bought another she died within a week she was not in good shape when I got her.now I bought another hen and he dies.maybe it's a hint but I'm to stubburn to give up

Back
Top Bottom