Incubating and hatching eggs chat thread!!

Thanks, CochinCuddlr! Looking forward to hearing how it's worked out.

Found a 1583 with turner (which seems safer, not just easier/lazier, 'cuz we might forget): https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=330828234959&lpid=82&&&ul_noapp=true&chn=ps
How does $128, in this case, stack up against what you've seen?

Rondack

Pretty good! I paid $122.00 for mine (free s/h), so if there's no s/h on yours, you'll be getting a better deal than I did.
woot.gif

I need to get mine set up and going. I've got eggs to set!!! LOL!!

C.

I've used a Brinsea Mini Advance (all digital w/ auto turner) for several years--after wrestling with one of the cheap-o feed store styrofoam nightmare models for too many years to count--and I LOVE IT. The only drawback I've found, and it is recent, is the inability to set larger eggs (ducks, peafowl, etc. and still use the auto-turn feature), plus the small size when wanting to set either those larger eggs or just a greater number of "regular-sized" eggs. For the cost and the savings in time, energy, and near-100% hatch rates, the Brinsea Mini Advance has my vote all the way.

My Hovabator 1583 circulated air model w/ 'picture window' just arrived yesterday. It should hold about 50 duck eggs, or just about as many pea eggs or turkey eggs. I did not buy a turner for it, so I'll be back to shifting eggs by hand in it, but I don't mind. I just wanted a much larger, reliable incubator in which to "bake" my ducks, turkeys, and peas. Based on recommendations from others here on BYC, I chose the Hovabator 1583. I'll let you know how it does!

C.

I love my 1583. I hatched for 2 1/2 years in an old lg9200 and had great hatches, but oh the work it was and the temp fluctuations. Bought the 1583 this year, on my 5th hatch with it. Love it.

Thanks, CochinCuddlr!  Looking forward to hearing how it's worked out. 

Found a 1583 with turner (which seems safer, not just easier/lazier, 'cuz we might forget):  https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=330828234959&lpid=82&&&ul_noapp=true&chn=ps
How does $128, in this case, stack up against what you've seen?

Rondack

Pretty good! I paid $122.00 for mine (free s/h), so if there's no s/h on yours, you'll be getting a better deal than I did. :woot
I need to get mine set up and going. I've got eggs to set!!! LOL!!

C.

I paid $122 for mine as well...lol Amazon, without the turner.

Would a heat lamp work?

For incubation? No, not really. Yes if you stick eggs under a heat lamp at 100-102 degrees it will develop, but you have no way to control humidity, or raise it for hatch.

I just built mine from Amazon buying the basic 1602n for $66. Total cost was about $150

You can get the 1602N advanced combo kit with the fan kit and the new turner for $125 and it comes with a digital therm/hygrometer combo. Incubator warehouse sells them. The 1583 with egg turner added is just a few bucks more than your total cost with no fuss and a big picture window.

Back
Top Bottom