1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating and hatching in egg cartons?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harleyjo, Mar 14, 2012.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    How many of you incubate and hatch in egg cartons? I am on my 3rd or 4th incubation, at lock down now. I plan to start another batch next week. I would like to do a larger batch next time but think in order to get all the eggs in I want I am going to have to use egg cartons. I don't have an egg turner so if I hatch in egg cartons I will have to prop sides to change postitions on the eggs.

Thoughts?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

That kind of incubator are you using?

3. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i don't turn my eggs in cartons....although i know people do. i have an egg turner. but i DO hatch in cartons and i love it! the eggs stay in one spot, clean up is easier, and the partying chicks don't play soccer with the ones not hatched yet.

4. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    That is what I do... incubate and hatch in cartons. I use a large book to prop up the side of the incubator from the outside. I switch sides 3-4 times a day. I have 3 hatches going in egg cartons now. One is due this Saturday! My last hatch was two weeks ago and I had a 75% hatch rate in cartons. My best hatch so far!

5. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I have a Hovabator still air, I think 1602n or something like that. However that said, after my first hatch I got one of those 4 inch personal fans from walmart to set in there to circulate the air. I also do not have a turner.

6. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I am currently incubating in cartons.
    This is my first time doing this.
    I had planned to move them out of the cartons for lockdown, but from what I'm reading here, I guess that might not be necessary.

7. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I use a turner for incubating, but I put them in cartons at lockdown - so they hatch in cartons. That's the only way I've ever done it.

8. tinaschiks

tinaschiks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    baycity,MI.
    ok i am very new at this and i cant have a rooster where i live so i bought 12 fertilized eggs and was told to set them in the nest i have a hen who is sitting but i have lost 2 of the fertile eggs to smashing and my girls keep laying should i buy another nest or hatch eggs another way?

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If you don't have any broody hens, they won't set. You need to get an incubator to be able to hatch when you want to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by