Incubating Button Quail Eggs

Well, I've got four out so far :) They are absolutely tiny little things.

About how long does it usually take them from the time they pip to the time they hatch?
I don't know as I've never watched the whole process. I just know every time I walked in to check the bator there were new babies!

But cute as button, eh?

Just following along here after reading jseg's excellent post.
Are y'all raising quail for eggs and meat....I should read more in this forum .

Just eggs for me - eggs to feed a very specific kind of snake that only eats eggs, actually. And I'll probably sell some, too.

I don't know as I've never watched the whole process. I just know every time I walked in to check the bator there were new babies!

One had pipped the wrong end of the egg and I didn't think it could hatch on its own, so that's why I asked. I ended up carefully helping it out, and I was right, it couldn't hatch on its own. It's doing great now though so I'm up to five :)

Well, after checking the incubator this morning, make that seven :)

Do I just leave the food scattered around in there and they'll find it on their own? Or should I be doing something to show it to them?

I don't recommend feeding the chicks in the bator. They should be moved to a brooder after they have dried. The temp of the brooder should be 95-97 deg.
You can sprinkle the feed all over the floor of the brooder, that way where ever they peck, theres food. You can also use your finger to peck at the food to encourage them to do the same. A drown proof waterer should also be in the brooder. HTH

Here's a not-great picture of them since they don't want to cooperate, lol.

J1HClnfTtP1EjkSd03EvSwFXupadLdW51ZuBnOBHPtPQTx9Fage_FNptt8sbC_VwouezjgJ2xtSpID4IW1Aq7R9xT93fPts6_H0sIz8UfTmaWCXZb8zJLgXVwIeOqimuwtU7JV4qQox8orv_dAAAAZ_b2oCzq2VPc591V2Okl6u1H-tiCe3lvZjosopXSZEPegmNq9RqoMnmq1rJISIpxpd7aZpg2CsvEreXA8NI44m8p8Vx4hQUuXHWl9emB6xu2wIbYuWVUA_J-ApaaOngKAgLP1xwutmTMmRu-EPyhtLbZNYqIwMGMC95nzB2BkqMDOY22r_h1j0C3tKi8KWQb-PLzNwbJw3xZ_yrglNxPQJuCgWDnCaft9bzbhOAc3adYriBfkHBxDVHTOFZ2a3aTgjpjsQ0bUxRm0q3xfInd9y_qmh0AbUW3suf1Gcs2aT5kw-TEc5GMUjhdqv9IupbUixPocVMY0QIp7hYh4OL9HNmIQj2c-ngHTcLVWZ7JfK-bMqZfIfhTzp1GY1s0AmVp0L0F_aCtM1DAPOC5WNYYOyVWxsF1JmDwmiOAg7AlxnF5d1v44TpdMIxS9PPPKy2dKQj67KeVfPWUnkPlxE=w910-h790-no

Congrats! I remember the first time I saw quail babies, I thought NO WAY, too tiny to keep alive. Now I think they are just so much fun!

Yes, these are so tiny! I'm afraid to touch them, but they appear to have imprinted on me and they run to my hand whenever I have to reach in there and start climbing all over me, lol.

By the way, I love your avatar! But that's actually a goose :p

Back
Top Bottom