incubating duck eggs

I'm being driven crazy here!  It was Friday that was the 28th day for my duck eggs.  They started to pip Saturday.  Yesterday we saw a lot of progress, more pipping.  I actually sat there like a dummy expecting to see some actual hatching, but nothing happened.  Now this morning, the 31st day, still no hatching.  Lots of rocking and chirping but really no more progress.  Should it really be taking this long?

You can probably help them a little bit don't like break it open just like kinda help them and do it fast

Thanks Amiga, That was helpfull. I think I will leave them alone since they are still developing in there. I thought the yolk absorbsion happened before pipping but I guess not.

I have also read that it is very important to keep the eggs at the right humidity, rather than opening the incubator, because a sudden drop in moisture will ziplock and probably kill the duckling. Gosh, this is not easy.

I don't know if I'll ever try hatching. wow.

Thanks Amiga, That was helpfull. I think I will leave them alone since they are still developing in there. I thought the yolk absorbsion happened before pipping but I guess not.
It's hard to wait, especially when they are late. If they're rocking and chirping that's a great sign! If they are externally pipped, then they are getting fresh air. It's like they need a rest after they pip before they're ready to hatch.

Sometimes incubation takes longer if the temperature on the incubator was a little low. Let us know what happens today--I am hoping you'll have good duckling photos to share with everyone.

caf.gif

We just had one hatch! it wasn't even the one I was expecting. Was really quick once it was breaking the shell in a circle. The it practically exploded out of the shell. I have it in the brooder now. Thanks everyone.

After it hatches you should leave it in the incubator till it completely dries and looks fluffy.

I had read that but there is so little room in there and the little guy does so much thrashing about rolling the other eggs around. I waiting 30 minutes then took it out with a warm towel and put it in the warm brooder, 100 degress.

I don't leave mine until fully dry either. I leave them until I'm sure they're strong and then have the brooder pre-warmed and RIGHT beside the bator, to minimize the air contact.

On the other hand, if they seem comfy/cozy staying in, I let them. Usually they're just wreaking havoc though lol.

My incubator is like medium sized and depending on the number of eggs they do just tear everything apart knocking eggs everywhere but normally once they come out they're so tired they just fall Asleep. I WANT DUCKLINGS AGAIN SO BAD I HOPE THESE EGGS ARE FERTILE:)

Back
Top Bottom