Incubating Eggs before Shipping

Interesting topic! I have to do a research project next semester to finish up my bachelor's degree, and this thread is giving me ideas! And it is a perfect excuse to hatch more chicks!
jumpy.gif
Muhahaha...I can't be told "no" if it is for a school project...
wink.png

this is a really interesting idea... maybe we can trade eggs? and instead of 24 eggs maybe just do 12? 6 with the incubation and 6 without?
With this many interested it should be easy to get data with small group of eggs and many people testing. But I'd rather not test this all out with paid for eggs hence the exchange.

Quote:
I'm in. Someone remind me, and I will do it.

I am interest getting some delaware fertilized egg from you. Do you want to try this? I don't have a problem pay you the shipping cost. Let me know.

sure i can see what i can do about getting some delaware ...

I would be willing to exchange for this experiment.

Have Blue/Black Ameraucana (Whitmore Farms and Sand Hill), Buckeye (JamesA and Sand Hill Preservation), Speckled Sussex (original stock Cackle Hatchery). Please do not expect each of these birds to be a fantastic show bird.

Would love to receive some of the same breeds or Delawares or Welsummers.

Quote:
I am interest getting some delaware fertilized egg from you. Do you want to try this? I don't have a problem pay you the shipping cost. Let me know.

sure i can see what i can do about getting some delaware ...

Sound good! Just PM me... I live in the neutral climate and the temperature is 53F today so doesn't matter that much. The egg will be test in the Brinsea Octagon 20 eco.

Wow! Thanks everybody! I got mine in December from CA and they were shipped to me in WA state. I'm guessing it was a 2 day thing. They were wrapped in newspaper. I let them sit on the counter for 24 hours before I put them in the bator. I suspect shipping them in winter put them in arrested development mode (though it is doubtful they got below 35F in our milder climates). The guy instructed me they needed a full 21 days incubation...the 3 day fertility incubation did not factor into their hatch time. Actually, I think they hatched around day 22.
Shucks, wish I was on the ball sooner. I'd have loved some of your Delaware eggs, Kathy! I can't wait to hear the results from everyone. We have a nice big sample size for our experiment!

Quote:
I think leave them sit for 3 days at room temp would be too long. I will try with over night 8-16hrs.

The thing is, nothing ships in that amount of time.

Back
Top Bottom