Incubating Eggs Laid every Two Days

ChickyLady124

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2020
I have a hen that lays every two days and I just bought a new incubator. I would like to try to hatch at least five. What is the best way to go about doing this? Thanks!!

I have a hen that lays every two days and I just bought a new incubator. I would like to try to hatch at least five. What is the best way to go about doing this? Thanks!!
Collect the eggs daily, candle them to make sure the shells don't have any fine cracks and leave them in the carton on the counter until you have 5 good ones. Then set them.

Thank you for your quick response! That means the first egg will be out for ten days. Is that okay? Our house stays between 75 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Is that okay? I read to keep the eggs around 55 degrees until they are ready to be put in but I can’t think of a way to keep them that cool

Thank you for your quick response! That means the first egg will be out for ten days. Is that okay? Our house stays between 75 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Is that okay? I read to keep the eggs around 55 degrees until they are ready to be put in but I can’t think of a way to keep them that cool
That is ideal temperatures, if you have a spot that is out of the sun and a bit cooler then stash them there. Be sure to tilt them a few times a day, placing a book or something under one end and then the other works well. I have hatched out month old Silkie eggs twice now and had 100% and then 90% hatch rates kept at 55° and 50% humidity. You could also consider a slightly staggered hatch if your very concerned about storage temps or really needing five birds. But, honestly you're likely to have a decent chance at hatching them at 10 days old from your own birds, assuming fertility and that your incubator is accurate in it's readings.

Back
Top Bottom