Incubating Goose Eggs - eggs increasing weight?

FarmWheeler

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2020
Hello!
I'm incubating a clutch of four Pilgrim goose eggs for the first time. I ordered the eggs online from a breeder so don't know what their storage conditions after laying were like. I'm using a River Systems ET Super 12 Incubator (Semi-Auto) from Brinsea. On the instructions it says to keep one humidity tray full of water for the majority of incubation, filling up the second for the last three days to increase humidity. It's now the 9th day, so I turned the incubator off for the first cooling session and to weigh and candle the eggs for the first time since I put them in to incubate. From what I can tell, all the eggs seem to be developing as they have a web of red veins (?).
However, on weighing the eggs they ALL seem to have INCREASED in weight by at least 10g, some by up to 15g! I haven't come across anything in my research about eggs increasing in weight and I'm now really concerned. Has anyone experienced this or know why this has happened?
Is the humidity too high despite following the instructions? Should I refrain from filling the humidity tray from now on?
I was quite careful with my initial weighing but if there's no other plausible answer I'll just assume I did something wrong or the scales were going haywire - but that does leave me in a tricky situation for gauging egg weight loss for hatching!
Grateful for any help that can be provided

I never measured it before but my duck eggs get heavier, and that's the way I know they're fertile even before I candle.

Back
Top Bottom