Incubating in my bra

Day 6 looking good! Hopefully I'll be able to get a clear picture eventually. I think they're going a little slow, but they're definitely developing. I'm gonna candle the Bregg daily just to keep an eye on it--I think that I'll candle the rest again on day 9 (halfway) and day 14 prior to lockdown and post comparison pictures again at those times.

Pray Kimmy Schmidt GIF by Demic

i was going to mention one of those polystyrene shipping boxes would be safer than a heatmat to preserve heat. Would probably do a better job.
How many eggs have you got going in your bra, not all of those surely? The cracked one doesn't look good, probably a weak egg anyway.

I felt like saying while reading the believers that the spaceships that nearly make it to space are not a near success, they are a catastrophic disaster so to claim the last attempt was a near success just made me think of a space ship crashing and burning. Has anyone actually seen a believable attempt at trying it?

I watched another one of the a bird called albert videos. In it he finds a parrot egg that had been left behind by the mother that just got sold. So he asks the owner if he can hatch out the egg which he hatches and then to make that miraculous story even more director worthy he just so happens to call the pet store a month later to see if "dad" was still about and yes dad had not been sold yet. Eureka. So what does he do? Well since it seems to be a completely staged video he tells he pet shop he will come get it in a months time... Eh, WHAT?

At that point I just knew the whole thing was too staged for emotional effect than real truth.

i was going to mention one of those polystyrene shipping boxes would be safer than a heatmat to preserve heat. Would probably do a better job.
How many eggs have you got going in your bra, not all of those surely? The cracked one doesn't look good, probably a weak egg anyway.

I felt like saying while reading the believers that the spaceships that nearly make it to space are not a near success, they are a catastrophic disaster so to claim the last attempt was a near success just made me think of a space ship crashing and burning. Has anyone actually seen a believable attempt at trying it?

I watched another one of the a bird called albert videos. In it he finds a parrot egg that had been left behind by the mother that just got sold. So he asks the owner if he can hatch out the egg which he hatches and then to make that miraculous story even more director worthy he just so happens to call the pet store a month later to see if "dad" was still about and yes dad had not been sold yet. Eureka. So what does he do? Well since it seems to be a completely staged video he tells he pet shop he will come get it in a months time... Eh, WHAT?

At that point I just knew the whole thing was too staged for emotional effect than real truth.
I'm not trying to keep it super warm when I shower, cause I take really quick ones. What I do is I sandwich it between two towels on the heating pad set at warm. It cools off slightly but not near as much as it would do at room temp.

Oh my no--though that is a hilarious mental image--it would be especially ridiculous trying to incubate all of them in my bra. Not without special pockets sewn into the bra...and that would be hella lumpy. I had two in there initially, but since one had a detached air cell I've transferred it to the incubator. So I'm down to the one bregg now. On the picture post the ones in the incubator are labeled "Reg. Egg #_", the one(s) in my bra are labeled "Bregg". Bregg #2 is the one I transferred to the incubator on account of its complication.

Yeah, the cracked egg and the one that appears to be scrambled will probably end up being buried. They're still in the incubator at this point because of my inexperience at candling. I will make my decision on their fate come day 9 or if they start looking/smelling weird. I'm just hoping that the rough journey through the mail hasn't doomed all of them to difficulties. I just got through a hatch of 12 mail order eggs that had a rough ride--only two made it out of their eggs, and one of those I had to assist(malposition). Another made it to hatch day, but due to malpositioning suffocated in the shell. Five didn't develop at all, one quit really early, and the rest quit later. Apparently, that's pretty par for the course for chicken eggs. Quail supposedly do a bit better, but you can still only really count on about 50% hatch rate according to most sources.

Near success and catastrophic disaster aren't mutually exclusive.

As for that Albert guy, I know nothing about him. I'm just sharing my attempt with everyone. I'm not doing this with any kind of scientific rigor--more to prove to myself that it's possible than anything else--so people can believe or not believe as it suits them. If my goal was to prove to the world that this is a thing that can be done, I would need a whole lot of money and volunteers. Unfortunately, I have neither at the moment, and until I know for myself that it's possible, I wouldn't even look to do something like that. Good science can start with plenty of nutty and irresponsible behavior (just look at the history of medicine and chemistry...there's a lot of ridiculousness that led to breakthroughs that are still advancing things and saving lives today), you really just need some success to inspire others to repeat and confirm.

Not that I think this is gonna catch on or anything, but perhaps one day someone with more money and time that any of us have will answer for all of humanity once and for all--"can people hatch eggs with their tiddlybits?"

It just takes one person to prove whether it is possible or not but I am worried it isn't possible and that would mean based on one person saying they saw 8 of these posts popping up last year alone that is a lot of doomed eggs.

I'm all for experimenting, but I believe in animal rights, others would just carry on with animal testing which have been very cruel in the past. If experimenting is to have a cost then at least the result should benefit many. Otherwise it is less of an experiment, more of a personal challenge. Maybe a memorable eggsperience to tell the grandkids

Last edited:
It just takes one person to prove whether it is possible or not but I am worried it isn't possible and that would mean based on one person saying they saw 8 of these posts popping up last year alone that is a lot of doomed eggs.

I'm all for experimenting, but I believe in animal rights, others would just carry on with animal testing which have been very cruel in the past. If experimenting is to have a cost then at least the result should benefit many. Otherwise it is less of an experiment, more of a personal challenge. Maybe a memorable eggsperience to tell the grandkids

Pretty sure that everyone who's done this or is doing this is doing it with eggs that weren't going to be set in the first place. Not every fertile egg that is laid can be incubated and hatched.

Is it cruel to attempt an incubation knowing that it might fail? If so, then everyone who has ever allowed their hen to brood or set up an incubator is guilty of such cruelty, since not a single one of us can know the future. Hens abandon eggs, power and equipment can fail us, as can all of our contingencies. If nothing else, perfecting such a method as this will allow others to know that should they run out of options, they can still use what they were born with to make a go of it.

But if that's how you feel, I won't change your mind. I also believe in animal rights, but I do not see the harm in this at all. If these eggs' fate was breakfast, lunch, dinner, or compost, how much more horrible is it to give them a chance at life?

Pretty sure that everyone who's done this or is doing this is doing it with eggs that weren't going to be set in the first place. Not every fertile egg that is laid can be incubated and hatched.

Is it cruel to attempt an incubation knowing that it might fail? If so, then everyone who has ever allowed their hen to brood or set up an incubator is guilty of such cruelty, since not a single one of us can know the future. Hens abandon eggs, power and equipment can fail us, as can all of our contingencies. If nothing else, perfecting such a method as this will allow others to know that should they run out of options, they can still use what they were born with to make a go of it.

But if that's how you feel, I won't change your mind. I also believe in animal rights, but I do not see the harm in this at all. If these eggs' fate was breakfast, lunch, dinner, or compost, how much more horrible is it to give them a chance at life?
When a plane almost hits something it's called a near hit. When a rocket like what just happened with space ex crashing instead of landing it is called progress. Science is based on theory and that theory is tested several times before it is proven fact. We learn from our mistakes and make something better. Even in an incubator you do not have 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom