Incubating in my bra

Nope! Was this one successful?

One person's attempt posted in this thread reached hatch but failed to hatch. My attempt cut short by likely rough mail handling (only one control egg in incubator out of 8 is clearly developing). One other person is currently making the attempt with a chicken egg. I was contemplating using a local egg source to make another attempt immediately, but my schedule isn't going to accommodate another attempt until summer time. Currently I'm just keeping everyone updated on the rest of the eggs, since Kiki was so kind to donate them to me for this effort.

I don't understand how people do not candle daily.

I like to see the daily changes.

I get nervous about opening the incubator that much. And handling developing eggs. Not that it's ever happened, but I'm pretty paranoid about dropping them. Also, I am not super great at candling, so I don't know if it'd be much benefit to me to do it daily.

Ive heard that candling past a certain point is bad for the embryo. Is that true?

You're not really supposed to do it after lockdown because the chick is trying to position, and if they've externally pipped and you didn't notice, the drop in humidity can cause shrinkwrapping of the membrane. Though apparently some just throw in a damp paper towel or something similar to bring it up fast, or cover the whole thing with a towel.

Back
Top Bottom