Incubating in my bra

I dread the day we have to cull the extra roos. I might pay the neighbor. I don’t mind doing the plucking and processing but I’m not sure I could bear to do the poor bird in myself. Actually I’m not sure I’m physically strong enough for that matter.

You're strong enough--it doesn't take strength, just precision. My suggestion--use the cone method, make sure the bird is secure in there (I use a bungie cord that goes around the legs once) and leave the room as soon as they're gone (once you're sure). That's the hard part...the bloody floppies. I can't stand watching them do that.

I dread the day we have to cull the extra roos. I might pay the neighbor. I don’t mind doing the plucking and processing but I’m not sure I could bear to do the poor bird in myself. Actually I’m not sure I’m physically strong enough for that matter.
It's easy peasy you just cut their head off with a pair of kitchen scissors.

But I cannot do it myself either.

Hair Cutting GIF by Lizz Lunney

Wouldn't the word it be better?

@Sapphire Sebright

They means more than one nutter.
I don't like to use it for living creatures. I think it works better for the inanimate. English is a bit of an outlier since we don't have a true 'neuter' pronoun. I could use the Swedish 'hen' but that'd be EXTRA confusing 'round these parts.

I know it’s not even that I’m squeamish. I’d just feel guilty. The last time I even thought about it I had nightmares of the rooster giving me this absolutely betrayed look. Needless to say he’s still alive.

Back
Top Bottom