1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating Pheasant Eggs

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by tonini3059, Mar 9, 2009.

1. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    We have a trio of Lady Amhersts and Reeves pheasants that should be laying this year. We are going to try to incubate the eggs. We also bought some Elliots eggs. Are they the same as hatching chicken egg and ducks? Is incubation time the same as chickens?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    see below

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  3. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
  4. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Thanks so much!!

5. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I don't mean to take over here but I have a question along these lines. I was wondering if you do the humidity the same as with chickens eggs and do you use the same temp.?

6. Donnadzitall

Donnadzitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Granite Falls WA
    Quote:Each pheasant species has a different incubation period. Amherst will take 22-24 days, Reeves & Elliots lasts about 25 days.

Here's an incubation chart for pheasants:
    http://www.gbwf.org/pheasants/pheasant_chart.html

Dan

I was just getting ready to recommend the chart and decided I better read what someone else wrote...good thing huh?
    There is definitely a difference in some of the species.
    Donna

7. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    According to the older than dirt gentleman down the road here in the way back of central texas.......

They get the same humidity, same temps. Body temps in birds are the same ...even tropical birds... around 99 degrees farenheit.

Reptiles and platypus and other "weirdo" critters are the ones that get different temps... (you gotta love the way old folks put things sometimes lol)

You can take an ostrich egg, keep it at 99F, and just wait for awhile, and you're fine.

humidity seems to be 4-60 % for each species, too...waterfowl at the higher end, others at the lower end...but all can be incubated together.

Of course, I wouldn't be rolling quail eggs with emu eggs... that could be very messy...especially if the emu hatched first.

I hope this helps!

8. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Barnwife is correct. The difference would affect tropical species such as Firebacks and Peacock-Pheasants. The temperate species, for which most of the common species are, would be no different than a normal fowl in an incubator.

Dan

9. countrygranny

countrygranny Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    We have golden pheasants,The hen has layed several eggs, she keeps scratching them out of the nest, Someone told DD that if a pheasant was in wire they would not set,does anyone know if this is true.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Each pheasant species has a different incubation period. Amherst will take 22-24 days, Reeves & Elliots lasts about 25 days.

Here's an incubation chart for pheasants:
    http://www.gbwf.org/pheasants/pheasant_chart.html

Dan

Ringnecks are not on that list? Are they considered the 'common' pheasant?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by