INCUBATING QUAILS HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Joshp, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Joshp

Joshp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    Hey everyone, ive done all of my research so i decided to give it a shot.
    A few weeks ago i bought an incubator, and this week ive been monitoring its hunidity and temperature. So far its been managing perfectlt but last night i put some japanese quail eggs in. I left for school and the temp and humidity was fine, but when i came home today the humidity was on 17%! Would this have killed them :(

Please let me know, let me know about any tips or tricks too please!!

Thank you :)

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    No this will not hurt them.Did your water supply run low and the humidity dropped?What are you using for an incubator?
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. 2chicksagain

2chicksagain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Northern California
    No, that will not hurt them too much. I hatched button quail chicks and I forgot to put water in. And what incubator are you using? Does it have a pipe for water or do you have to open it to put water in? Good luck hatching them [​IMG]

4. 2chicksagain

Aug 26, 2013
    Northern California
    Also, in my experience it is really hard to hatch Japanese Quail eggs because they are REALLY small. I can put 5 in 1 hand [​IMG] But they are really cute. Good luck [​IMG]

5. cmobley

cmobley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    saraland alabama
    I open both holes in my farm innovator forced air and dont watch humidity at all when hatching any eggs. Matter of fact my turkey eggs humidity is 12% right now. When i do jap quail i let it run whatever it wants i dont add water until day 16 or 17 get humidity to 50 or 60% to help soften the shell some. Think of it this way your trying to dry up as much liquid as possible in that egg.An old hatcher told me that because before i was running myself stupid watching humidity and temp i just check em once or twice a day if the temps a little off i bump it down or up dependong on what it needs.Also jap quail are the easiest to hatch you can almost set em out on a hot brick.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  6. Joshp

Joshp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    My incubator is a 48 Quail egg/ 12 chicken egg incubator. It has a yellow lid but is unbranded. It has two little access holes to put water in at the bottom!
    [​IMG]
    Im assuming my water ran low and dropped the humidity, but i dont want to add too muxh water while im at school because then the humidity gets to 60-80 easily. And from what ive been told that's too high.

Does the humidity even matter till the last few days?

Another thing, ive never incubated rggs, so when should i candle them, and whqt should i be seeing when i do?

Thank you everyone so far! :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  7. cmobley

cmobley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    saraland alabama
    Whatever the humidity is in my house is what it is in the incubator i dont add any water ever till the last day i get it up to 50% or so. Even then its dangerous because when they start hatching all tge excess moisture bumps up the humidity even more. I dont candle eggs anymore atleast not jap quail eggs its to hard to see in the shells and ive never had any explode like bigger eggs will. Plus when you candle you have to open the bator which throws off the temp and all that so i keep mine closed till day 15 i take them outta the rocker and lay em in the bottom put the lid back on and wait. Usually late day 16 and 17 they start by morning 18 its full of fuzzy babies.

8. 2chicksagain

Aug 26, 2013
    Northern California

9. NewhAtch3r

NewhAtch3r Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    60 is not bad I kept between 50 and 60 first 14 days between 60 and 70 last 3 had a 49 percent hatch rate first hatch. Don't open incubator if they are piped they will dry out and not make it I have a feeling if i did not open to remove my 8 chicks more of my chicks that were piped would have hatched. humidity is important if your low add water don't get to worried if its off but try to keep it best you can try to add more water and open a little more vent to keep it down good luck.

10. fishforbrains

fishforbrains Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2015
    Lower is better than higher until the last few days. You'll be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by