Incubating serams

crsch1888

Chirping
Apr 2, 2017
Marshfield Missouri
So I ordered some serama eggs off eBay, only cuz it was fairly close & I can't find anyone around me that has any. So I got them & have them in the bator, the air cells are really small, but looked stable when I checked them while putting in. I have them in egg cartons, so upright & am not turning them yet. If there's any pointers or suggestions anyone could give me, to help me increase my chance of some hatching, it'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch:love

Good luck!

You could have checked the BST and auction threads here. ;)

i hatch seramas, and the main pointer I would give is watch them closely after pip, because they have a tendency to poke a big hole and wallow around and die. Moreso the smaller the egg. With regular or bantam chicks, i usually wait 24 hours after external pip before considering assisting, but after losing enough seramas, i tend to assist more around the 12-18 hour mark, depending on how the others are hatching.

and realize that with seramas, some are doomed from the get-go. :(

Thanks! I have been trying to do a lot of research on them, incubating them, there seems to be so many different opinions on the web. But I had noticed people talking about loosing a lot of them after lockdown, course I don't think they stepped in to help much. I had to help my silky out on the last batch that I did. I only got 2 of those to hatch, but had several go into "lockdown" looking great, with movement & everything. When I opened them, I could see that there was liquid in with the chick, not a whole lot but some, not sure that's normal. I couldn't bring myself to open them all the way, just took the top off, enough to see that there was fluid in there. Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to carefully watch them!

@WVduckchick i just now saw that you have eggs on the bst, when I ordered mine there was none that I could find on here, I'm also working at figuring how to navigate around on here too. That really stinks! Your birds are beautiful! I would love to buy some eggs from you when it's close to these being done, just keep the bator going. These are only on day 2, so it would be what, a couple weeks probably? Do you think you might have some then? That would just be great! Wish I had 2 batons, I'd just buy the ones you have up now,lol.

yes, some folks help, and some don't. I'm a hands-on type person, would rather give it a chance. Even if i have to end up culling for some defect. I've had a couple fail to thrive and die after hatching, but none that I've had to cull for problems.

most of my birds are on the larger side, which actually helps with better hatches, but many folks prefer them smaller. I have some smaller young ones (ones that came from my birds, and from elsewhere) that are not laying yet. But I'm getting good egg production now, had 2 broodies already that are back to laying. So feel free to send me a pm if/when you want more eggs!

Man, this time is going by so slowwww! How often is it ok to check the eggs? I mean, I'm moving them a couple times a day in the carton, but it is so hard to not candle them. I'm really wanting to but also don't want to do anything that will hurt them. I did take a quick peek 2 days ago & could see where veins were starting to develop. Would like to take a couple pics to put on here to see if they are looking right. Really wish seramas were easier to hatch,lol.
Hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend!

Man, this time is going by so slowwww! How often is it ok to check the eggs? I mean, I'm moving them a couple times a day in the carton, but it is so hard to not candle them. I'm really wanting to but also don't want to do anything that will hurt them. I did take a quick peek 2 days ago & could see where veins were starting to develop. Would like to take a couple pics to put on here to see if they are looking right. Really wish seramas were easier to hatch,lol.
Hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend!

again, candling is something that you will find mixed feelings on. Personally, i candle a few almost every day. I know people who experimented and candled a few eggs daily, with no ill effects, chicks still hatched just fine. obviously the less handling, the better, and i normally only candle them in place, and only handle them a few times during incubation, but the light does not hurt them. The danger comes from human error and possible drops, etc.

if you hand turn, there is no harm in sticking your flashlight on top of them every so often. ;)

Back
Top Bottom