Incubating Shipped Eggs in an IncuView incubator

I always hatch shipped eggs on their sides, unless they have detached air cells. Of my three batches of shipped eggs, I had an overall 90% hatch rate. The eggs traveled over 1500 miles too. They were quail, if that matters.
I'm sure you already know this, but be sure to test run the incubator with calibrated temp and humidity gauges for a few days.
These eggs are coming from Ohio, so it's not far from Michigan. I bet a few of the eggs might have detached, or jiggly aircells.

What would you suggest for those that do have jiggly, or detached aircells?

Yep, I know about the test run before hatching. I have a few calibrated hygrometers, & thermometers I can use. I'm gonna do a recalibration just in case, but last time it wasn't necessary.
That's great! Better safe than sorry.
These eggs are coming from Ohio, so it's not far from Michigan. I bet a few of the eggs might have detached, or jiggly aircells.

What would you suggest for those that do have jiggly, or detached aircells?
Ok. If they're detached, I cut toilet paper tubes into rings a couple inches tall, like a stand, and then put the eggs in that until the air cell either reattaches or the chick hatches. They can still be tipped in the tubes adequately.
I'm not sure how the turner works on your incubator though, or if you can turn it off. If you can turn if off, and turn manually, that would be best. The turner will knock the tubes over.
Jiggly air cells I have not had a problem with. I incubate them on their sides, they usually attach better as incubation goes on.

That's great! Better safe than sorry.

Ok. If they're detached, I cut toilet paper tubes into rings a couple inches tall, like a stand, and then put the eggs in that until the air cell either reattaches or the chick hatches. They can still be tipped in the tubes adequately.
I'm not sure how the turner works on your incubator though, or if you can turn it off. If you can turn if off, and turn manually, that would be best. The turner will knock the tubes over.
Jiggly air cells I have not had a problem with. I incubate them on their sides, they usually attach better as incubation goes on.
How about the cups from egg cartons? I'd rather use those.

The turner is the roller type.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GS9ZSOK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_M6W9STD2M14THG20ZP4K

My old incubator has the regular turning trays that you stick them in pointy end inside so the fat end is up.
There's some gunk in the turner tray I can't clean out, so I don't want to risk contamination.

I just ordered an incuview as well, to hatch shipped eggs in. What I did for previous shipped eggs in my janoel 12 was stand them upright in cut cartons and tip them by hand the first few days, candle every day to see what the air cells were looking like, and once they were sufficiently stable, i put them on their sides for the rest of the incubation period. :) I haven’t been able to get completely detached and rolling air cells to reattach, so I just do the same with them and hope they do ok. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I haven’t received my incubator yet either to play around with the turner, but it may be worth trying a couple of hard boiled eggs (to minimize mess if you have breakage) to see if the turner will cause issues with them upright in egg cartons. It might just push them around. That’s my plan anyways, to test and see what all I can get away with. Haha. :) if all else fails, you can for sure turn off the turner and just hand turn, they have directions for if you want to turn it off for that purpose on the directions for use sheet online. :p

Good morning,
Yes I have an Incuview. Great unit by the way. I have hatched many shipped eggs. I did not treat them any different just lay and let them roll. Always had better hatch rates with my own eggs but that is a given anyways. I am currently selling mine because I need more capacity. Just calibrate it when you get it. I had to enter a 1* offset for mine. I also made an insulated box and other modifications that can be found in my articles section.

29EE8B16-BB1F-47F3-A33A-4E79841D014D.jpeg

Good morning,
Yes I have an Incuview. Great unit by the way. I have hatched many shipped eggs. I did not treat them any different just lay and let them roll. Always had better hatch rates with my own eggs but that is a given anyways. I am currently selling mine because I need more capacity. Just calibrate it when you get it. I had to enter a 1* offset for mine. I also made an insulated box and other modifications that can be found in my articles section.

View attachment 2543191
Oh, nice.

I want to play it safe before I try anything different.

So your's was off by 1°? That's not bad.

Back
Top Bottom