INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
good to know, it was supposed to rain last night but it didnt sooooo
now there is fertilizer all over my lawn and chickens that cant be contained

I doubt it tastes good so hopefully they won't eat much. My chickens are all out eating all my mulberries that fall to the ground overnight.
I rarely fertilize anything and when I do it is a liquid fertilizer in places the chickens are supposed to stay out of.

I doubt it tastes good so hopefully they won't eat much. My chickens are all out eating all my mulberries that fall to the ground overnight.
I rarely fertilize anything and when I do it is a liquid fertilizer in places the chickens are supposed to stay out of.
i prefer not to fertilize but DH has this thing about making the house/yard pretty
he even put mulch in the gardens (again) - i keep telling him not to, then laugh when he does
every evening he goes around and puts it back in the gardens out of the lawn where my chickens put it, and threatens my birds LOL
he's probably hoping the fertilizer takes care of the birds that the bear didnt

i prefer not to fertilize but DH has this thing about making the house/yard pretty
he even put mulch in the gardens (again) - i keep telling him not to, then laugh when he does
every evening he goes around and puts it back in the gardens out of the lawn where my chickens put it, and threatens my birds LOL
he's probably hoping the fertilizer takes care of the birds that the bear didnt

Can you hose down your lawn a little bit today?

Can you hose down your lawn a little bit today?
i would but i wont be home until like 7 or so, and i work tomorrow too
i am still thinking about doing it though we arent supposed to get rain until next friday and havent had any in awhile
oh and my lawn is HUGE

yellow is lawn -might even be bigger, red is barn. blue is coop, pink is horse fencing (one of the fields)
most trees have been removed

i would but i wont be home until like 7 or so, and i work tomorrow too i am still thinking about doing it though we arent supposed to get rain until next friday and havent had any in awhile oh and my lawn is HUGE yellow is lawn -might even be bigger, red is barn. blue is coop, pink is horse fencing (one of the fields) most trees have been removed
Wow!!!!!!!!!! That is awesome!!!

Hey I want to to take a couple of my meat birds to my sister's. Would anyone be able to talk me through what I will need to have ready and do, or recommend a good thread/site?

Last edited:
i would but i wont be home until like 7 or so, and i work tomorrow too
i am still thinking about doing it though we arent supposed to get rain until next friday and havent had any in awhile
oh and my lawn is HUGE

yellow is lawn -might even be bigger, red is barn. blue is coop, pink is horse fencing (one of the fields)
most trees have been removed
So the chickens browse in your yard or does your husband manicure and fertilize the chicken pasture as well?

Hey I want to to take a couple of my meat birds to my sister's. Would anyone be able to talk me through what I will need to have ready and do, or recommend a good thread/site?
There are dozens if not hundreds of videos on youtube.

The most important tool is an extremely sharp knife. I prefer multiples. The feathers quickly dull the knife you slit the throat with. With 2 birds, that won't matter much.

If you are plucking and scalding, you need a means of heating water and a way to check its temperature. I like it between 145 and 150F. A 5 gallon pickle bucket is sufficient but a turkey fryer works well.

For evisceration, you need sharp knives - did I mention that?

I like to have ice in a cooler and ice in a bowl. The bowl is for hearts, livers, gizzards. The cooler is for the carcasses.

A bucket for feathers and another for viscera (they can be combined).

A clean surface that can be washed for evisceration.

Once that process is nearly complete, getting the lungs out is the toughest part.
Decide the day before if you are going to withhold feed for 24 hours or not. It is best if the crop is empty but it isn't too difficult to separate a full crop from the breast and neck skin.

When you get to the liver, be extremely careful not to break the gall bladder or it gets all over.

Salt. I fill the cooler with water, ice and salt.

An extra hose or two. You can always finish cleaning up the carcass in the kitchen sink but I like to do it outside if possible.

Working fast will get the job done before flies find you this time of year.

Did I mention your sharpest knife? And a sharpener in case the knife isn't as sharp as you thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom