INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. So i have a
1f414.png
that went broody. I didnt have any chicken eggs to give her so i just gave her some duck eggs. I didnt write down when we gave her eggs so I dont know what day they are on. I was able to candle while she was off nest this morning and over half of them look like they have movement in the air cell.

Does that mean they will be hatching in the next day or two?
I call that "shadowing", and with mine it usually means that they will pip internally in the next 1-4 days.

-Kathy

Hi all. So i have a
1f414.png
that went broody. I didnt have any chicken eggs to give her so i just gave her some duck eggs. I didnt write down when we gave her eggs so I dont know what day they are on. I was able to candle while she was off nest this morning and over half of them look like they have movement in the air cell.

Does that mean they will be hatching in the next day or two?

Congrats!!

Just got home and checked on my broody hen that I gave eggs to on Saturday. For the 3rd day in a row, she took the eggs the others laid and kicked the new ones out. Put them back under her and I'm almost positive I got all of the old eggs now. She had 15 eggs (non-fertile from my hens) and the 12 I added! No wonder she didn't have them all under her!!! LOL

:frow Anyone else workout?
13876703_1021564161294760_6532349600455498021_n.jpg
:gig Walking the dog and farm chores is my workout.
:bow
[COLOR=666666]Mark Todd and Leonidas II leap one of the jumps on the Olympics cross-country course.
[COLOR=666666]

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympi...ontention-with-commanding-crosscountry-effort

Mark Todd 1984:

1988 Seoul

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Todd_(equestrian)

He's 60 years old! What a stud!

-Kathy

[/COLOR][/COLOR]
:fl Go Leonidas!! So nice to see someone give the horse the credit. Hi all! Been a busy day. 1 dog gone back to his home & got another bunny and a fish to babysit.... It is like a zoo around here, lol.

@ChickenCanoe

If I knew for sure why a bird died I'd have no problem feeding it to the others, assuming it didn't die of some disease that the healthy birds might contract. Don't believe I'd let healthy birds chow down on a bird that died of an unknown reason.

Edit: I misread that, but I feel the same about a wild animal I killed; just never occurred to me to do it. Don't know that I'd do it with coons, though, due to the possibility of rabies.
I'm so sorry. I was way behind and I rapidly scanned posts. I thought you were talking about a predator you caught in a trap like a raccoon.
I didn't know you were talking about a dead chicken.
I usually compost them.

For the coon question, avians, reptiles and amphibians can't get rabies.
It never occurred to me to do it for years. I considered how much meat I was throwing away when I dumped them on a back road. I considered eating them myself until I realized they get most of their food out of trash cans and dumpsters.
However, as chicken food, I figure cooking them thoroughly won't cause a problem.

I missed the post by ChickenCanoe.
hide.gif

-Kathy
I posted about the wrong thing.

Just got home and checked on my broody hen that I gave eggs to on Saturday. For the 3rd day in a row, she took the eggs the others laid and kicked the new ones out. Put them back under her and I'm almost positive I got all of the old eggs now. She had 15 eggs (non-fertile from my hens) and the 12 I added! No wonder she didn't have them all under her!!! LOL
Mark eggs and remove volunteers. Make sure she can cover all under her.

Last edited:
Coons can't contract rabies? I was always told that if a normally nocturnal wild animal is out & about in daylight and exhibits no fear of humans, chances are it's rabid. Is that not the case?
I dunno but I ain't going to get close enough to a coon to see if it has rabies or not... Them some mean mothers there.. My hubs coon hunts and they will TEAR u up!

Coons can't contract rabies? I was always told that if a normally nocturnal wild animal is out & about in daylight and exhibits no fear of humans, chances are it's rabid. Is that not the case?

Yes they can. Rabies can be contracted by most mammals.
I was referring to your concern about cooking coons.

my quote
"For the coon question, avians, reptiles and amphibians can't get rabies."
Meaning that even if they had rabies, your birds wouldn't be in danger.

As for being out in daylight and exhibiting no fear of humans, once they get used to us, that precautionary tale goes out the window.

0.jpg

0.jpg

0.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom