INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best kind to build? Where could I get the information on how to build an incubator myself?

Hello! And welcome to the thread!
As for the build it yourself bators, Sally's design on the first page of this thread is likely the easiest for a DIY bator. All of the parts can be easily sourced and assembled, with minimal tools and experience.
Sally used the 'KISS' principle, and it works fantastic for those that have duplicated her efforts.
Good insulation, good temp control, and easy cleaning and operation.
Did I mention you are now a charter member of 'hatchaholics anonymous' ? Welcome again, we are all here to help (and enable) :lau

New to hatching and to this forum. My first hatch didn't go as planned. I had 14 eggs and 6 weren't fertile (that was a fun project with my son thought) and the other 8 didn't hatch on Monday as expected. I had built it up so much that I was really disappointed when they didn't hatch, and then a few days of roller coaster ups and downs based on responses I was getting to my questions and pictures I had posted about the float test. I still have six eggs from the 3/21 scheduled hatch and I am not giving up on them, just trusting my gut. they are 4 days overdue but I was having trouble getting the temp right since it was a borrowed bator .. it was 92 for the first 6 days and on day 6 I got it up to 99.5 so I am giving them until Sunday before I toss them. they are in their own bator so they will not hurt anything if, God forbid, one explodes. I did to a float test and got great results (based on the awesome article I found on this site ...... but several folks have indicated that those aren't accurate and I should just throw the 6 away..... my gut tells me to give it to sunday.. maybe I am a softie but the 'float test post" was so well written and had a LOT of similar responses and I followed it to a T .. and I know there are LOTS of opinions... I am too new to have an opnion so in this case I just go with my gut...

I have another 25 eggs that are on day 18 so we will be candling tonight.. I have learned so much from these threads and I am SO THANKFUL to everyone for the information they have shared.. I hope this batch nets with better results, temps and humidity have been spot on so I am hopeful. I am loving it so much I asked for two bators as birthday gifts, so with the two borrowed ones I have and the two new ones I should have a fun Spring/Summer!

Those are some pretty chicks. How did you incubate them? What incubator? Any advice?

New to hatching and to this forum. My first hatch didn't go as planned. I had 14 eggs and 6 weren't fertile (that was a fun project with my son thought) and the other 8 didn't hatch on Monday as expected. I had built it up so much that I was really disappointed when they didn't hatch, and then a few days of roller coaster ups and downs based on responses I was getting to my questions and pictures I had posted about the float test. I still have six eggs from the 3/21 scheduled hatch and I am not giving up on them, just trusting my gut. they are 4 days overdue but I was having trouble getting the temp right since it was a borrowed bator .. it was 92 for the first 6 days and on day 6 I got it up to 99.5 so I am giving them until Sunday before I toss them. they are in their own bator so they will not hurt anything if, God forbid, one explodes. I did to a float test and got great results (based on the awesome article I found on this site ...... but several folks have indicated that those aren't accurate and I should just throw the 6 away..... my gut tells me to give it to sunday.. maybe I am a softie but the 'float test post" was so well written and had a LOT of similar responses and I followed it to a T .. and I know there are LOTS of opinions... I am too new to have an opnion so in this case I just go with my gut...

I have another 25 eggs that are on day 18 so we will be candling tonight.. I have learned so much from these threads and I am SO THANKFUL to everyone for the information they have shared.. I hope this batch nets with better results, temps and humidity have been spot on so I am hopeful. I am loving it so much I asked for two bators as birthday gifts, so with the two borrowed ones I have and the two new ones I should have a fun Spring/Summer!
Hi! Welcome to the wild and crazy world of incubation... and the wild and crazy forum!!!

Sorry your first attempt didn't go well. Too often the first attempt is a learning experience, and things don't go as planned. It's imperative to make sure the incubator is holding steady temps and proper humidity. Practice runs before setting eggs is paramount. I know you have hope for the remaining eggs, but they are way overdue right now. Even if they manage to hatch, the chicks will most likely have serious health issues. Personally, I would pull them now and get it over with. It's easier done before they hatch than after.

If your other eggs have been under steady and proper temp and humidity, then you have a good chance at a successful hatch. You and the bator have done all that's necessary, and the rest depends on the eggs themselves. We look forward to an update after you candle, and expect pics when they hatch. Good luck!!!

FWIW, hand held candlers make awesome lights to peer into the bator with....
Yup! They also work well if you have an older chick in there and it's harassing a chick trying to hatch - shine the light away and they are drawn to chase the light.
thumbsup.gif

fl.gif
. Also nice brooder build:)

Thanks!!!! If I had to do it again, I'd set it up to slide the divider out the side rather than the top...
Woke up to this:
clap.gif

Update: 10/11 eggs HATCHED with normal, healthy chicks by day 19!
Still hoping #11 will make its entrance....
So glad this hatch has gone so very well for you, as the last one was so sad...

For my 40k post I'm going to start a thread on worming. Any suggestions on a title for it?

-Kathy
"Worming your chickens". (Since you will, hopefully, talk a lot about how to worm, not just diagnosis...)

@flocktastic , congrats! I lower my temps to 98.5-99F on day 19 - they make a lot of their own heat at this point.

On day 20 - out of seven total, I have 4 hatched so far (2 boys, 2 girls) - including that first one that pipped the wrong end, and got itself out all on its own just now. Of the other three, two pips, and one not pipped yet.
fl.gif

- Ant Farm

Baby # 7 just hatched. The smaller Bantam EE eggs are hatching earlier - 6 of the 7, with 4 pips. The larger egged Spithauben are a bit slower. 1 hatched a few hours ago, with just pips.

Those are some pretty chicks. How did you incubate them? What incubator? Any advice?
LG 9200, I'm still new ( first sucessfull hatch) so not much in the way of tips.... I will share them as I find them though! :D
Baby # 7 just hatched. The smaller Bantam EE eggs are hatching earlier - 6 of the 7, with 4 pips. The larger egged Spithauben are a bit slower. 1 hatched a few hours ago, with just pips.
:weee
BUBBLES!!! YOU DID IT!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :weee :celebrate :clap :thumbsup :woot :bun :jumpy :cd :yiipchick :highfive: :yesss:
Thanks!!! :celebrate

Maybe you would like to join along in the April Hatch A Long..slower paced. Just a thought.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-long-hosted-by-mike-sally/1600#post_16751439

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom