INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread, and pretty new to having chickens. I grew up around them, but didn't start my own flock until last June. I hatched them in an incubator. Out of 13 eggs, only 3 hatched. Then in January, I had 10 eggs in the incubator, and only 2 hatched, and 1 of those died a few days later. I am having problems keeping my temp up high enough. It's one of those styrofoam incubators you get from tractor supply. Does anyone have any tips for getting my temps up?
Am I right assuming that they hatched late as well?

One thing you can do is build a box around the incubator at a distance that will help hold heat in but still allow transpiration of oxygen. Is the light on all the time?

GUYS I HAVE AN EGGCITING NEWS!!!!
The art teacher here in town wants to give me eggs to hatch. He says he wants to start doing that for people in town, giving them eggs. Nothing is final yet but im really excited for next month. Maybe we might hatch some nice breeds!!
That is exciting to become famous in the local chicken world.

Also question, when should i tag my babies? Im using zip ties till i can get something more official.
As soon as you pull them from the hatcher. Otherwise you may never tell them apart.

What is the best kind to build? Where could I get the information on how to build an incubator myself?
There are many home built incubators in the learning center tab above.

For some reason my chicks have the weirdest obsession with thumbs. You stick your hand in there? They go straight for the thumbs. They are so weird i love them so much!

HELP STUFF IS HAPPENING:
So i noticed my chick, its toe is pointed, like, inwards.

What can i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom