INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many are in the "sick pen"? Have you felt the breast (keel) of all the birds in that pen? I'd be willing to bet money that the worms you found came from the thinnest of them. Does that better sense (haven't had my coffee yet)?

-Kathy
I had never heard the term keel before.
The main coop is down to 11 hens and two roosters. It may be the Lavender roo. He sits there a lot, and when the vet came to draw blood I noticed that he had lost a bunch of weight, but I chalked it up to him having been so sick. He presented first and is still not fully normal.

How many are in the "sick pen"? Have you felt the breast (keel) of all the birds in that pen? I'd be willing to bet money that the worms you found came from the thinnest of them. Does that better sense (haven't had my coffee yet)?

-Kathy

Speaking of keels, one of my cream legbar girls was looking a little "unhappy" this morning. Just "off" looking. I picked her up, and she has a prominent keel. She promptly went back out to forage with the others, but I think I need to worm them. I have Wazine on hand - should I use that, or should I head out to get some SafeGuard (in which case I'll need to figure out what to get)?

Off to do a search of posts by @casportpony
 (I think you posted a bunch of photos of products - that's what I need).

- Ant Farm

Let me know if you need any info from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook. :D

-Kathy

This is not chicken related but I gotta post somewhere. In August I redecorated my niece's bedroom for her 7th birthday. (My brother is a single dad, mom Not in picture at all). Well last night he called and said his girlfriend and her son are moving in so I need to go take down everything that I just did and turn the bedroom into a gender neutral kids room. Oh and did I mention that he wants it done today
1f626.png
Fine...tell him to knock himself out if he has no more consideration for your time than that

@Sally Sunshine asked my to explain how I setup the auto turner in my homemade incubator. It should have been quite simple, I bought the part for $133 from Dickeys Incubators. It included the silver metal arm you see here, and the (crucial) gold colored cam directly behind it (you can only see a sliver of the gold piece in the photo. It has a timer motor built in that you can't really see here. The timer motor completes a revolution about every 2 hours and triggers the main motor that runs until the cam hits a switch to turn it off. The outer metal arm moves up or down with each cycle of the motor, pushing or pulling the trays with it.

The problems I had were with adjusting the height of the motor relative to the shelf and trays. I ended up using spacers that make the whole thing move when the trays shift and sort of jars the eggs in the trays. I'm not happy with it yet and need to redo it all at some point
sad.png
I don't know if it will help but just adding that I was going through my watch list on EBay and I saw this rotisserie motor I was considering using with a timer for my yet to be built turning racks. What do you think?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271467738979?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

-Kathy
I had never heard the term keel before.
The main coop is down to 11 hens and two roosters. It may be the Lavender roo. He sits there a lot, and when the vet came to draw blood I noticed that he had lost a bunch of weight, but I chalked it up to him having been so sick. He presented first and is still not fully normal.

When I find an odd poop in my pea pen I will step back and watch them from a distance or throw some treats in for them. Never fails, the one that's looking off will always be the one with the odd poop. This is confirmed by putting the bitd in a crate where I can see all of it's poops.

-Kathy

Let me know if you need any info from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

You're such a good reference... You're my walking handbook!!!
clap.gif

I haven't properly wormed them before now (used Rooster Booster worming once, though). So I think everyone is due. (Nothing observed in poops.)

As I have Wazine on hand, I will start with that (unless you have other advice?). Much easier to have something that I can put in the water. From the directions, I should put it in the water on one day, and then worm again 30 days later - does this sound right? Unfamiliar territory for me.

Also, as it covers only roundworms, should I also worm with SafeGuard later?

(And the bottle says not to use it in egg laying chickens - you were saying usual withdrawal is two weeks?)

Sorry for all the questions...

- Ant Farm

nope he doesn't. But did just call and say his girlfriend I'll meet me there to help. I just hope that he moved the furniture out.
She's his girlfriend. If she wants to change what you did in good faith out of love for your niece, that's on her, not you. Add her to the "knock yourself out" list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom