INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The malpositioned chick managed to hatch all by herself ( we think it's a pullet) and 4 more have pipped!

My broody seems to be doing well. Do you try to candle eggs under Broody hens, or just let nature run its course?

My broody seems to be doing well. Do you try to candle eggs under Broody hens, or just let nature run its course?

I never touch them. I let nature take its course. IMO, that's the point of broodies. No electricity or concerns.
Perhaps I would think differently if I had eggs that were easy to see into. I would have to bring the eggs into the house and go into a darkened room to see anything. The broody hen doesn't need that intrusion. The more you disturb them, the less likely they are to do a good job.

okay I'm new but what did I do wrong....I had 4 clears out of 12...which is fine I figure they aren't fertile anyways. But most of the others the embryo seams stick to one side cannot really tell where the air cell is......I'm on day 8. I've been turning 3 times a day.running humidity around 30%. ....it's a Brinsea so I'm laying the eggs on their side. Not upright. Hand turning....

They are duck eggs

Last edited:
I think I am going to be impatient like ch to see these Underwood and Horstman line RIR chicks first feathered in and then grown up. I already like how they are much less skittish and more likely to cock their heads and be curious than the hatchery chicks.
ADORABLE!!!

I was told to candle, I did just to check for clears. Simply because if an egg explodes, it is very difficult to wash a hen. I candled for the first (and ONLY) time around day 14. I verified there was something growing in each of the eggs. Earlier there had been 2 eggs the hens had kicked out (I had 2 broodies). Both were clear. So, I think mine knew which eggs to keep. I had 7 out of 7 hatch.

So, personally, I probably won't candle the next time. But there are others that candle the same as they do in the incubator. So, I'd say, candle if you want to, don't candle if you trust your hens!

Good luck!!! I honestly think the babies peeking out under the broody hen were WAY CUTER than the ones in my incubator!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom