INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I agree with you.. I think it's fun to keep up with others lives and going ons but the focus should be chickens and hatching. I think the main reason people don't reply is because they don't know the answer. They are new at hatching or they haven't had that problem. My main problem is finding he post I want to refer people to. I haven't found a good way to find what I need in a timely manner..
I feel this way because I am out of the loop. I do agree that chatting may do better on another thread. I get lost trying to find answers to my questions. Most the time I just give up.

Hey everyone, pretty new to chickens (March 2016 bought my first batch of 1 and 2 week olds) and now I am just in lockdown phase of incubation of 15 eggs. Bought 16 from a local farm, turned out 1 was infertile, but all others have been growing steadily. When candling last night before placing in lockdown, had one Black Australorp that I saw no movement in. The air sac looks good, and the chick is pretty much taking up the whole shell, but it didn't move. I read on some other threads about water candling or doing a float test. I had 2 I were unsure of, both Australorps, and they both sank in the glass. One wiggled, the other didn't. I went ahead and put both back in the incubator...hoping maybe that it was just being lazy and didn't want to move...lol. Did I do the right thing???

No I agree with you.. I think it's fun to keep up with others lives and going ons but the focus should be chickens and hatching. I think the main reason people don't reply is because they don't know the answer. They are new at hatching or they haven't had that problem. My main problem is finding he post I want to refer people to. I haven't found a good way to find what I need in a timely manner..

I really like this group and I actually have got quite a few replies. I still don't come here much because it's so busy that I can't keep up. Most of the subjects aren't about hatching and I've found another forum that's similar but easier to keep up with. I like the messaging portion for idle chatter. :)

Hey everyone, pretty new to chickens (March 2016 bought my first batch of 1 and 2 week olds) and now I am just in lockdown phase of incubation of 15 eggs. Bought 16 from a local farm, turned out 1 was infertile, but all others have been growing steadily. When candling last night before placing in lockdown, had one Black Australorp that I saw no movement in. The air sac looks good, and the chick is pretty much taking up the whole shell, but it didn't move. I read on some other threads about water candling or doing a float test. I had 2 I were unsure of, both Australorps, and they both sank in the glass. One wiggled, the other didn't. I went ahead and put both back in the incubator...hoping maybe that it was just being lazy and didn't want to move...lol. Did I do the right thing???
Usually the float test is for after day 21 but yes, putting it back was correct, it could have been resting

Last edited:
Typically you don't float test them before lockdown. Any eggs that I think are questionable I put in lockdown anyways just to be sure. Good luck with your eggs.

I feel this way because I am out of the loop. I do agree that chatting may do better on another thread. I get lost trying to find answers to my questions. Most the time I just give up.

I am on a broody thread that is helpful. Couple of experienced people on there. If I google my question, Google usually finds the answer on a byc thread.
I also am on our Northern California thread. It's pretty helpful.

Hey everyone, pretty new to chickens (March 2016 bought my first batch of 1 and 2 week olds) and now I am just in lockdown phase of incubation of 15 eggs.  Bought 16 from a local farm, turned out 1 was infertile, but all others have been growing steadily.  When candling last night before placing in lockdown, had one Black Australorp that I saw no movement in.  The air sac looks good, and the chick is pretty much taking up the whole shell, but it didn't move.  I read on some other threads about water candling or doing a float test.  I had 2 I were unsure of, both Australorps, and they both sank in the glass.  One wiggled, the other didn't.  I went ahead and put both back in the incubator...hoping maybe that it was just being lazy and didn't want to move...lol.  Did I do the right thing???

Yes on my other thread they said to leave them in as long as possible just in case. I followed their instructions and the chicks I though we're goners are bigger and moving around. I would leave it in unless you see seepage. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom