Incubating Washed & Refrigerated Eggs

Pics
So...the hatch is over and there are 19 fluffballs in the brooder! All of the green/blue/olive (and shades in between) eggs hatched, except the very badly cracked one , and included refrigerated ones. The brown eggs didn't fare as well - a couple did hatch on their own, but I had to assist one that had retained too much moisture (even though I incubate on the dry side) and four didn't hatch. Interestingly, most of those had been refrigerated, too. Perhaps different effects of refrigeration on darker-shelled eggs vs. lighter? Would be interesting to see if these results are borne out in a scientifically-conducted experiment.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the results and the experience has definitely altered my perspective on washed and refrigerated eggs. To those who hesitate to try incubating them, I say "go forth and hatch"!

The first chick hatched almost a day earlier than the rest and I think she's irresistibly cute (in my experience, though, most first hatchers have been boys...hope it doesn't hold true here ).

View attachment 1742560
Though it has been a few years since you shared your post, wanted to say thank you for sharing, I have enjoyed following along. So happy for your success. Helen

Back
Top Bottom