Incubating

I'm honestly not sure. I have never tried doing that; I don't know if it would be okay with a hiatus in incubation this early or if since it's already started to develop it would die if taken out of the incubator.
Oh sorry I see this now okay I guess I won’t use that egg maybe I’ll give that egg to her now maybe she’ll lay on it tonight or something.

I seem to vaguely remember something about incubating an egg for a period of time to check for fertility and them removing until ready for incubating, but I wouldn't want to say whether it would survive or not unless I can find the source I read it. I was hoping Pyxis would have the answer. If you're planning to exchange it you'd have to take it out anyway, maybe you could remove it and keep in warm until you can get the new one set up if you can do it quickly, maybe one earlier hatch would be okay. I wouldn't recommend doing it with the other eggs though. It would always be your favorite and get spoilt anyway if it's the one from when he was still there so maybe it wouldn't make much difference ;)

Oh sorry I see this now okay I guess I won’t use that egg maybe I’ll give that egg to her now maybe she’ll lay on it tonight or something.

Honestly since that one egg is so special I'd just keep it going. The small break when it's out of the incubator while you exchange for the other won't hurt it, and even though you'll have to do a staggered hatch with just one egg it won't be so horrible. Or maybe you could buy a second cheapo incubator to finish it in when the time comes.

Forgot to say, if you're willing to spend a little more money than you did on that Eco, you could take it back to Tractor Supply and exchange it for a Harris Farms Nurture Right 360, which cost $10 more, are fully digital, have an autoturner, and hold 22 eggs instead of the smaller amount that the Brinsea holds. I have one and it works very well and is very reliable.

That way, you could set more of her eggs and have a larger chance of hatching some ducklings.
What do you think though about putting like 15 eggs in because we can’t have like 8 ducks hatch we only want like 2 -3 ducks honestly. I don’t know what to do now because my bf said if I exchange for the bigger one and we put in 15 eggs what if 10 hatched what are we going to do. But then again only fitting 8 in this mini one what if we get 0. Sorry I keep asking questions -I’m so worried having such a short time frame to do everything perfectly to at least get one baby Donald.

When you say baby Donald do you mean his offspring, or his male offspring in particular? More eggs would probably widen your chances.

Honestly since that one egg is so special I'd just keep it going. The small break when it's out of the incubator while you exchange for the other won't hurt it, and even though you'll have to do a staggered hatch with just one egg it won't be so horrible. Or maybe you could buy a second cheapo incubator to finish it in when the time comes.
Oh no I already took it out! And turned incubator off should I go put it back on and put egg back in?

What do you think though about putting like 15 eggs in because we can’t have like 8 ducks hatch we only want like 2 -3 ducks honestly. I don’t know what to do now because my bf said if I exchange for the bigger one and we put in 15 eggs what if 10 hatched what are we going to do. But then again only fitting 8 in this mini one what if we get 0. Sorry I keep asking questions -I’m so worried having such a short time frame to do everything perfectly to at least get one baby Donald.

If you end up with a really good hatch, you could keep your favorites and sell the extras - people are always looking to buy ducklings :) Plus if you can only keep two or three ducks you're going to want to make sure you grow them out long enough to determine their genders, because you wouldn't want to keep two and have them both be males. You'll only want to keep one male and then maybe another female.

When you say baby Donald do you mean his offspring, or his male offspring in particular? More eggs would probably widen your chances.
Donald was my male that passed away yesterday. I don’t want to go to store and get a duckling I want to hatch one of his offspring from my female that he mates with every day.

I know that, but what I mean is are you hoping for another boy or are you not bothered whether it's a girl or boy that you hatch from their eggs?

Back
Top Bottom