Incubation and ALV

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Yesterday evening I walked into my bantam coop to place all the birds on the new perches inside the coop. They've taken a liking to the high perches in the run, so we've got some learning to do. Point being, I noticed one of my Serama hens, Beetle, had decided to go broody. Got to say it was pretty darned cute, tiny hen in the back of the coop sitting on 5 tiny eggs. 😆 I plan on breaking her because my flock has ALV, Avian Leukosis Virus. But this got me thinking, I've been wanting to create my own meat cross since before the virus. Meat birds are great to have in the freezer, but I hated raising Cornish X, I want something slower growing. It would make sense to breed Doodle with my RIR cross rooster to make our own cross.
My question is, would eggs from hens infected with ALV even hatch? I want to say I've read that chicks can develop tumors in the egg and don't survive it. I believe those birds were infected with LL, Lymphoid Leukosis, so a slightly different disease. If I decided to incubate eggs, would they even make it to hatch? If they hatched, would the chicks survive to adulthood? Also, I've heard that flocks with Markes disease can still get birds as long as they are vaccinated. Of course, this still isn't preferred, but out of curiosity, is there anyway to safety bring more birds into a flock infected with ALV?
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it! Definitely a question I've had, Beetle reminded me to ask. ;)

If there are two forms of lymphoid leucosis, I am not versed in the difference between the two. My flock has this virus, and I've tried to hatch eggs from my flock. The embryo mortality rate is outrageously high, and chicks that make it to hatch often die before one year. These odds are against breeding and hatching from a leucosis flock.

There are all purpose breeds such as Brahmas that are slow growing. Despite their gorgeous appearance, they make great meat birds. Did you know that? Raising baby chicks is the best way to go if you have a leucosis flock.

If there are two forms of lymphoid leucosis, I am not versed in the difference between the two. My flock has this virus, and I've tried to hatch eggs from my flock. The embryo mortality rate is outrageously high, and chicks that make it to hatch often die before one year. These odds are against breeding and hatching from a leucosis flock.

There are all purpose breeds such as Brahmas that are slow growing. Despite their gorgeous appearance, they make great meat birds. Did you know that? Raising baby chicks is the best way to go if you have a leucosis flock.
Got it. Thank you! I was looking into Dark Cornish, I believe they are slower growing than Cornish X if I remember correctly. Plenty of other dual purpose breeds too, I didn't know about Bahamas, thats a good one.
Also, not entirly sure how long it takes for other dual purpose breeds to mature, but should I worry about young birds passing to the disease? I lost Smudge at 25 weeks I believe. I know that adult birds are less susceptible, but what about young birds. Would breeds other than Cornish be more likely to build immunity to the disease and carry it instead of dying from it? Thanks for the help?

I was told long ago that hatcheries have been breeding leucosis out of all the popular breeds. Now, do not ask me what breeds they are. I have no idea. But, getting baby chicks and raising them in a leucosis flock will expose them during their immunity window during the first couple weeks and if they don't get exposed to a heavy viral shed from a chicken that is symptomatic, they have a very good chance of acquiring resistance.

I was told long ago that hatcheries have been breeding leucosis out of all the popular breeds. Now, do not ask me what breeds they are. I have no idea. But, getting baby chicks and raising them in a leucosis flock will expose them during their immunity window during the first couple weeks and if they don't get exposed to a heavy viral shed from a chicken that is symptomatic, they have a very good chance of acquiring resistance.
Good to know, this is very interesting. Okay, so I guess going with a hatchery is the way to go. I guess I'll search their website then and see what they got. Good info, I'll have to do some research and see if I can figure out which breeds they are. Thank you!

Yesterday evening I walked into my bantam coop to place all the birds on the new perches inside the coop. They've taken a liking to the high perches in the run, so we've got some learning to do. Point being, I noticed one of my Serama hens, Beetle, had decided to go broody. Got to say it was pretty darned cute, tiny hen in the back of the coop sitting on 5 tiny eggs. 😆 I plan on breaking her because my flock has ALV, Avian Leukosis Virus. But this got me thinking, I've been wanting to create my own meat cross since before the virus. Meat birds are great to have in the freezer, but I hated raising Cornish X, I want something slower growing. It would make sense to breed Doodle with my RIR cross rooster to make our own cross.
My question is, would eggs from hens infected with ALV even hatch? I want to say I've read that chicks can develop tumors in the egg and don't survive it. I believe those birds were infected with LL, Lymphoid Leukosis, so a slightly different disease. If I decided to incubate eggs, would they even make it to hatch? If they hatched, would the chicks survive to adulthood? Also, I've heard that flocks with Markes disease can still get birds as long as they are vaccinated. Of course, this still isn't preferred, but out of curiosity, is there anyway to safety bring more birds into a flock infected with ALV?
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it! Definitely a question I've had, Beetle reminded me to ask. ;)
My incubator hatch rates are completely normal, at about 70%. My chicks are not affected by AVL, when I raise them in a clean room. Adding them to my flock I loose about half to horizontal, exposure from my flock. But they typically live 6-10 months before they are symptomatic. I hatched some and sent them to live with my daughter, with no exposure to my flock. They are 10 months old and no symptoms and no losses. I have 10-month Olds in a clean room, different breed. Same thing.... no symptoms, no losses. The parent birds where PCR tested positive for AVL and negative of Marek's. This is my 3rd generation. Hen moms and grandma are positive, fertile and look healthy. I am pcr testing these pullets after the holiday, with RAL labs. I'm excited to see the results.

My incubator hatch rates are completely normal, at about 70%. My chicks are not affected by AVL, when I raise them in a clean room. Adding them to my flock I loose about half to horizontal, exposure from my flock. But they typically live 6-10 months before they are symptomatic. I hatched some and sent them to live with my daughter, with no exposure to my flock. They are 10 months old and no symptoms and no losses. I have 10-month Olds in a clean room, different breed. Same thing.... no symptoms, no losses. The parent birds where PCR tested positive for AVL and negative of Marek's. This is my 3rd generation. Hen moms and grandma are positive, fertile and look healthy. I am pcr testing these pullets after the holiday, with RAL labs. I'm excited to see the results.
Can you tell me in detail how you keep your flock separated? I have identified ALV in my small flock this week and have been dreading putting all 40 down. This is my first time with chickens, they are just 5 month olds and starting to lay. I would really like to at some point breed. Is there hope that I could maintain this flock and get a clean flock as well? I live on an acre and a half.

Back
Top Bottom