Incubation Newbie

Yard full o' rocks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Cartersville, Georgia
Ok....I am going to but my first batch of eggs in the incubator this weekend. My Buff Orps have laid almost 2 dozen eggs in the last 3 days! I understand that the eggs will need to be "candled" during the incubation process. Can someone let me know:

1. How often?
2. Is there some reference site that will show me what they should and shouldnt look like?
3. Anyone have recommendations for what I should use to candle these eggs? They are a medium brown color.

Hoping to have some success on this first try. Thanks for any help you can provide!!

I usually candle at around Day 10, then at Day 14, than again at Day 18, when I stop turning. Some people recommend Day 7, but I think it is easier and clearer to see the embryo and blood vessels at Day 10. On Day 14, I remove any clear ones, or obviously dead ones. Then Day 18, is just a final check for any additional quitters.

There is a really good site on candling. I believe they are candling duck eggs, but the pictures are very clear and show both good and bad eggs. Just google "candling eggs" and you should find it pretty easy.

I use an LED flashlight. It has about a 1 in diameter end. There are several threads on this site on candling, just use the search function for "candler". They will tell you how to make one.

The egg color can make it more difficult, but I have a hen that lays medium brown, and her eggs are easy to candle. Mostly, it just takes lots of practice to start to see what your looking for in the egg. Also, a good seal around the egg and light source so light doesn't escape from around the source but only goes into the egg is helpful.

I'm new to this also but from gathering info here this is what I can tell you: Read the stickies at the top of the I&H list. There is excellent info there. Follow the links and you will see great picks of developmental stages. I couldn't see through my BO's eggs well for a while. I'd suggest candling at day 7, 14 and[ 18. For a candler I started with a flash light with a piece of cardboard rolled up into a tube and taped to it. Shine down from the big end to the small. Don't be discouraged if you can't see much at first. Good luck with your first hatch!

Back
Top Bottom