Stefankeyes

Songster
Nov 6, 2021
Hi, While I know the title of website is Back yard Chickens. I was wondering if anyone has incubated duck eggs? Unfort I bought a batch of eggs labeled as fertile for Aylesbury breed, However after 10 days no development was seen and the temps where kept at 37.5 Celcius and round 55-60% Humidity. So I had pulled eggs from incubator. But now thinking of trying Cayuga duck eggs. So I was wondering what your recommended incubator settings would be for humidity and turning ect? As I feel maybe I have caused them not to grow. As for the incubator I use, It is just a cheap one that turns eggs automatically every 2 hours. However I have 4 chick eggs in there now that are on day 11 and they are all looking very good during candling. I can see the chicks kicking about inside the shell. Ill post a pic of incubator below.

many thanks to everyone here for their hospitality in this community. Its amazing!

Attachments

• 51OmM2c95CL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    51OmM2c95CL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 9
Hi, While I know the title of website is Back yard Chickens. I was wondering if anyone has incubated duck eggs? Unfort I bought a batch of eggs labeled as fertile for Aylesbury breed, However after 10 days no development was seen and the temps where kept at 37.5 Celcius and round 55-60% Humidity. So I had pulled eggs from incubator. But now thinking of trying Cayuga duck eggs. So I was wondering what your recommended incubator settings would be for humidity and turning ect? As I feel maybe I have caused them not to grow. As for the incubator I use, It is just a cheap one that turns eggs automatically every 2 hours. However I have 4 chick eggs in there now that are on day 11 and they are all looking very good during candling. I can see the chicks kicking about inside the shell. Ill post a pic of incubator below.

many thanks to everyone here for their hospitality in this community. Its amazing!
Your temp is good and for humidity I prefer to keep it between 40-50% for duck eggs and at lockdown I don't let it get above 65%. Everyone has different preferences, but after many hatches and weighing eggs during development I have found the 40-50% humidity to give me the best hatch rates and correct water/weight loss by hatch time. If you are using shipped eggs make sure you let them rest for 24 hours pointy side down to let the air cells settle. I would also highly recommend buying an analog hygrometer and thermometer that you can pre-calibrate before each hatch. The onboard instruments for incubators can often be inaccurate.

Your temp is good and for humidity I prefer to keep it between 40-50% for duck eggs and at lockdown I don't let it get above 65%. Everyone has different preferences, but after many hatches and weighing eggs during development I have found the 40-50% humidity to give me the best hatch rates and correct water/weight loss by hatch time. If you are using shipped eggs make sure you let them rest for 24 hours pointy side down to let the air cells settle. I would also highly recommend buying an analog hygrometer and thermometer that you can pre-calibrate before each hatch. The onboard instruments for incubators can often be inaccurate.
thanks so much for the info! I do have a Brinsea liquid in glass thermometer that i forgot to mention! around 37C on incubator the thermometer reads 37.5 at the opposite end. its good to hear from someone who has experience in this as i have just been experimental. Would it be ok to lower humidity at day 11 or would it be too late? Also I did have chick eggs in with the duck eggs. many said its ok along as i balance out humidity in the middle between what both require.. would you say that is ok to do or should I avoid that since both have separate hatching times?

Many thanks,
Stefan!

thanks so much for the info! I do have a Brinsea liquid in glass thermometer that i forgot to mention! around 37C on incubator the thermometer reads 37.5 at the opposite end. its good to hear from someone who has experience in this as i have just been experimental. Would it be ok to lower humidity at day 11 or would it be too late? Also I did have chick eggs in with the duck eggs. many said its ok along as i balance out humidity in the middle between what both require.. would you say that is ok to do or should I avoid that since both have separate hatching times?

Many thanks,
Stefan!
If your incubator has different temperature reading in different spots make sure you rotate the eggs around every so often otherwise you will have some develop more quickly while some take a day or two longer. You could lower it at day 11 if you wanted. A lot of people on here dry incubate (both chickens and ducks), but your ability to dry incubate will depend on the ambient humidity in the room your incubator is in. As for hatching together I know it's possible, but I've never personally tried it. If you did I would make sure to remove the chicks as they hatch my concern would be them not only moving the duck eggs, but pooping in the incubator which could lead to bacteria issues for the duck eggs.

If your incubator has different temperature reading in different spots make sure you rotate the eggs around every so often otherwise you will have some develop more quickly while some take a day or two longer. You could lower it at day 11 if you wanted. A lot of people on here dry incubate (both chickens and ducks), but your ability to dry incubate will depend on the ambient humidity in the room your incubator is in. As for hatching together I know it's possible, but I've never personally tried it. If you did I would make sure to remove the chicks as they hatch my concern would be them not only moving the duck eggs, but pooping in the incubator which could lead to bacteria issues for the duck eggs.
hi, Yes I have noticed one has developed a bit quicker than others. Being in Scotland the humidity is usually 40-50+ however incubator readings can get below 30 as tested before initial incubation with no water added. I do have a very cheap rubbish incubator but holds temp very well, Its a manual one. I guess if I was to mix chicks' and ducks I can transfer lockdown chicks to the rubbish one for hatching since the humidity and temps should be good with the rubbish one. However I think I will just wait until chicks have hatched before I put ducks in this late, Just to be safe.

Many thanks,
Stefan :)

hi, Yes I have noticed one has developed a bit quicker than others. Being in Scotland the humidity is usually 40-50+ however incubator readings can get below 30 as tested before initial incubation with no water added. I do have a very cheap rubbish incubator but holds temp very well, Its a manual one. I guess if I was to mix chicks' and ducks I can transfer lockdown chicks to the rubbish one for hatching since the humidity and temps should be good with the rubbish one. However I think I will just wait until chicks have hatched before I put ducks in this late, Just to be safe.

Many thanks,
Stefan :)
Transferring them to another incubator for lockdown would be a great idea! Whatever you end up deciding keep us updated:)

Transferring them to another incubator for lockdown would be a great idea! Whatever you end up deciding keep us updated:)
Will definitely keep the thread updated. Cant wait to see and hear the little chirpers come out into the big world! got a little vid of the candling!

Back
Top Bottom