Incubation or have mama brood

Fangeddeer

Songster
Apr 23, 2023
Hello, never had eggs before like this but I’m excited! My duck has eggs and is taking great care of them but I also have an incubator. What should I do? I only have 5 so I’d only be able to take two from her and what not, but I kinda want to let her have them bc she’s doing so good (even tried to bite me for getting close)

If she's doing good, I would allow her to keep them. What is the temperatures and how bad are the predators? Those two things would be my main concern with letting her hatch them. If the outside temperatures are good and predators stealing her eggs aren't a worry, then she should be fine.

If she's doing good, I would allow her to keep them. What is the temperatures and how bad are the predators? Those two things would be my main concern with letting her hatch them. If the outside temperatures are good and predators stealing her eggs aren't a worry, then she should be fine.
Predators are low to 0, coyotes stay in their own spot and I have the eggs hidden but easy for her to get in and out inside the coop. The temperature yesterday and today was 55 and today is 41 but yesterday it was real windy. We put a headlamp where she lays just incase (too high for the eggs but enough for her)

Predators are low to 0, coyotes stay in their own spot and I have the eggs hidden but easy for her to get in and out inside the coop. The temperature yesterday and today was 55 and today is 41 but yesterday it was real windy. We put a headlamp where she lays just incase (too high for the eggs but enough for her)
That all sounds good then. I would allow her to keep the eggs. It's better to hatch under a brooder than in an incubator as the mother will train her young more knowledge than if they learned things on their own.

Here’s mama and the set up! Opinions ? The gray thing is a tied open dog kennel with a tarp over it that has a entrance from the side and the back (where she is) had the door taken off so it’s wide open

Attachments

• IMG_6680.jpeg
    IMG_6680.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6681.jpeg
    IMG_6681.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom