Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

Good morning! Here is the morning update:

Skippy is the cutest thing in the world! Drinking water on her own - I still have not seen her eat, but she's spilling crumbles out of the bowl, so I am not sure if she is eating or just making a mess!
barnie.gif

Tulip is ACTIVE! She was JUMPING in the incubator this morning, so much so that my husband was afraid she was going to hit the heating coils! So, he took her out and put her with Skippy in the brooder. INSTANT BFFs!
love.gif
Tulip hasn't had anything to drink yet, but Mark did dip her beak in the water. I think she wore herself out because now she is sleeping.

#9 (day 36) has pipped! There is actually a little crack on the outside of the shell! HOORAY! I am not sure what it is supposed to look like, but it looks like a bike tire, with the spokes radiating out. Does that make sense? The shell is not OFF, but cracked. We can hear the pecking! We will get a picture.

#10 - (day 35) We actually noticed a "crack" last night I thought either Skippy or Tulip did it when thrashing around in the bator, because the crack is closer to the pointy end of the egg, NOT the round egg. However, after seeing #9, I think it's a pip on 10 - and she's malpositioned! We candled her really good this morning, and I see what appears to me to be the cord up in the air sac - or, at least a thick vein. And a small piece of the shell is off on the crack near the pointed end, but the membrane is still covering. If I candle by the crack, I can see the rhythmic movement. We also hear peeping as well as the pecking this morning. Looks like 10 is going to be another challenge!

We moved #13 (day 32) to lockdown.

THOUGHTS?

It's official! Pictures of baby ducks are *cuter* than baby chickens in real life!
Don't tell my chicks.
Darn these cute ducklings! THAT'S the ENTIRE reason we got a duck last spring! We went to buy chicks - that was the plan! But as soon as Mark saw the little yellow ducklings running around, and discovered they were Muscovies, he wanted one! That was Zippy! She came home with three chicks, but then Mark decided she needed a ducky friend, so we went back and got her a friend. Of course, the farmer wasn't sexing them, so duckling #2 is Claude....great! Now we have a male and a female...sigh...so of course, I see them mating and can't bear the thought of NOT incubating potentially fertile eggs...so here we are!

However, I did find another duck egg yesterday morning in the coop, and another one this morning. Darn if I didn't bring them straight into the house! What's the procedure for potentially fertile eggs you don't want to hatch? I have heard yes and no as far as if they are OK to eat...I have yet to eat a duck egg! Worse case scenario - our dog would love to eat a raw duck egg!

Darn these cute ducklings! THAT'S the ENTIRE reason we got a duck last spring! We went to buy chicks - that was the plan! But as soon as Mark saw the little yellow ducklings running around, and discovered they were Muscovies, he wanted one! That was Zippy! She came home with three chicks, but then Mark decided she needed a ducky friend, so we went back and got her a friend. Of course, the farmer wasn't sexing them, so duckling #2 is Claude....great! Now we have a male and a female...sigh...so of course, I see them mating and can't bear the thought of NOT incubating potentially fertile eggs...so here we are!

However, I did find another duck egg yesterday morning in the coop, and another one this morning. Darn if I didn't bring them straight into the house! What's the procedure for potentially fertile eggs you don't want to hatch? I have heard yes and no as far as if they are OK to eat...I have yet to eat a duck egg! Worse case scenario - our dog would love to eat a raw duck egg!
Fertile eggs are fine to eat we eat them all the time and for baking duck eggs are awesome, and i do cook the excess duck eggs for our 4 dogs.

Eat em, you can't tell the difference between fertile and infertile. When you crack them you can always look to see if they were fertile. But maybe you shouldn't share that with other people who may be eating them.

Do I put them immediately in to the refrigerator when I bring them in? We often leave chicken eggs UNWASHED on the kitchen counter for a few days. Do the potentially fertile eggs have to be refrigerated, or can they stay out, too, since they wouldn't really develop at room temperature, right?

Back
Top Bottom