Incubator Development Advice

Panther Creek Poultry

Songster
11 Years
Aug 5, 2008
Clarksburg, MO
I am working on building a new homemade incubator. I bought a huge cooler a Wal-mart and have installed a light at the top along with a fan. Then under those I have installed pegs through the walls to put aluminum pans on to hold the eggs. My question is as follows (numbered them for specific answers)

1. Since the GQF incubators I have seen have a solid tray, is there any problem with using a solid bottom aluminum pan? Wondering about air flow. I have tray situated so that air can circulate on all sides and front and back.

2. Does anyone here use the egg carton method for incubating? Do I need to cut the bottom of the cups off of the egg cartons?

3. If I prop the egg cartons on one end and switch the prop 3 times a day is that the same as turning??? How much of an incline do they need to be at to consider it a full turn when switched? I had read that it should be 45 degrees.

4. I have my light (heat source) located at the top. My idea is to switch the trays at each turn so that the top eggs don't get to much heat and the bottom not enough? Sound Feasible?

5. Any other suggestions or concerns?

I am trying to get this up and running today and would appreciate your expert advice.

Sheila

Quote:
It is not as easy as it seems. I have a dimmer on my hatcher, and it casued my eggs to hatch over a 4 day period...it would get to cold at night, and too hot during the day. I'm lucky I didn't kill them. I would suggest getting a water heater thermostat, or a heating cable, instead of a light bulb.
Just my two cents...

Back
Top Bottom