Incubator Input Appreciated

jeepgirl13

Crowing
Mar 13, 2013
Arizona
I was just given the all clear to buy another incubator:ya:wee:ya

I'm looking at the hovabator 2370 vs the hovabator genesis 1588. Looks to me like the only real difference is the giant window on top? :confused:

Has anyone used either one of these bators before? How did you like them? Pros and cons would be appreciated.

I used to have a hovabator circulated air before and always had good hatch rates with it. It had the stand up egg turner though, which I have one of here if the lay down one that comes with the newer model doesnt work right. I am concerned it doesnt move the eggs enough. Any experience with these turners? Thanks yall in advance!

I love my 1588s. Have 4 of them. Lol
They hold temp and humidity very well. I like the big open window. The only issue I had was the seal would leak sometimes but I sent it back and sent a new one for free. Only had that with one.

I love my 1588s. Have 4 of them. Lol
They hold temp and humidity very well. I like the big open window. The only issue I had was the seal would leak sometimes but I sent it back and sent a new one for free. Only had that with one.
Does it hold temp/humidity better than the 2370? I cant imagine paying almost 50 dollars more for just the window. Although I would like to be able to see in there better.

I'm currently running a farm innovator still air, and it cant hold temp or humidity for nothing. I've even got winter jackets wrapped around it for insulation and still end up with spikes and drops. I really dont like it and prefer forced air incubators.

What are your hatch rates like?

Does it hold temp/humidity better than the 2370? I cant imagine paying almost 50 dollars more for just the window. Although I would like to be able to see in there better.

I'm currently running a farm innovator still air, and it cant hold temp or humidity for nothing. I've even got winter jackets wrapped around it for insulation and still end up with spikes and drops. I really dont like it and prefer forced air incubators.

What are your hatch rates like?
I have not tried the 2370. But my hatch rates are extremely well. Only eggs that don’t hatch are usually non fertile ones. I think I had 10 eggs out of 170 that died in the shell. Only I think half were near hatching. The rest I had some issues with the cold and stuff and some were cracked. So I think it’s a very good incubator. Each tray in the bottom is numbered so like I fill #4 for pheasant eggs and #3 for duck. And #2,3,4 for hatching.

I have not tried the 2370. But my hatch rates are extremely well. Only eggs that don’t hatch are usually non fertile ones. I think I had 10 eggs out of 170 that died in the shell. Only I think half were near hatching. The rest I had some issues with the cold and stuff and some were cracked. So I think it’s a very good incubator. Each tray in the bottom is numbered so like I fill #4 for pheasant eggs and #3 for duck. And #2,3,4 for hatching.
I like it! What kind of elevation are you at? We are high and dry here at 7000+, which from all I've read can also complicate things for incubating.

I may end up getting the model you have, but I'd appreciate any more input from everyone! I'll probably be purchasing this evening. My long term goal is to eventually be raising show birds, as I have access to excellent stock, but for the time being, I just plan on selling the chicks at the local critter swap.

I had used an old still air Hovobator incubator last year with great results but needed to return it to my friend. So this year I bought the 1588 with fan circulation of air and 1611 auto turner. Certainly it’s a big step up from the old still air incubator, but my first hatch went poorly. I think that I had two problems: hot and cool spots, and I set the temperature too high. It came preset to 100 F, which my separate, calibrated thermometer confirmed near the middle position. Some spots were warmer and some cooler. I had a bad hatch and malpositions of chicken eggs that suggested heat stress. So I’ve lowered the set temp to 99.5. I’m attaching temp and humidity readings at a cool spot (near the back) at this setting with the second water well filled. I’ve hatched several hatches successfully at this temp setting and 45-55 humidity (guinea eggs, which I think do better with a little more humidity than chicken eggs).

Attachments

• 010FFD11-1333-4604-AD7E-CE24D140214F.png
    010FFD11-1333-4604-AD7E-CE24D140214F.png
    264.2 KB · Views: 11
I like it! What kind of elevation are you at? We are high and dry here at 7000+, which from all I've read can also complicate things for incubating.

I may end up getting the model you have, but I'd appreciate any more input from everyone! I'll probably be purchasing this evening. My long term goal is to eventually be raising show birds, as I have access to excellent stock, but for the time being, I just plan on selling the chicks at the local critter swap.
Yeah you are high and dry. Lol
I’m at 900 elevation.

I had used an old still air Hovobator incubator last year with great results but needed to return it to my friend. So this year I bought the 1588 with fan circulation of air and 1611 auto turner. Certainly it’s a big step up from the old still air incubator, but my first hatch went poorly. I think that I had two problems: hot and cool spots, and I set the temperature too high. It came preset to 100 F, which my separate, calibrated thermometer confirmed near the middle position. Some spots were warmer and some cooler. I had a bad hatch and malpositions of chicken eggs that suggested heat stress. So I’ve lowered the set temp to 99.5. I’m attaching temp and humidity readings at a cool spot (near the back) at this setting with the second water well filled. I’ve hatched several hatches successfully at this temp setting and 45-55 humidity (guinea eggs, which I think do better with a little more humidity than chicken eggs).
Forgive me if I am reading your chart wrong, but it looks like your temp might have been a bit low? 98.9 was the max on the chart.

Was this some kind of report from a wireless thermometer/hygrometer or is this an app you use to record the info manually?

Back
Top Bottom