Incubator mishap

Candled on last time before putting on lockdown today!! Eek! Down to 21 from 26, positive movement in 11. I'm doubtful on the rest, not sure they've progressed since day 14, but I left them just in case since I'm a newbie.

Candled on last time before putting on lockdown today!! Eek! Down to 21 from 26, positive movement in 11. I'm doubtful on the rest, not sure they've progressed since day 14, but I left them just in case since I'm a newbie.

Good luck! If they quit around day 14 or before, you should have seen alot of "clear" area when you candled. If they are ready, they should be basically all dark by day 18.

Good luck! If they quit around day 14 or before, you should have seen alot of "clear" area when you candled. If they are ready, they should be basically all dark by day 18.

I did discard a few that I knew were behind, lots of light on the bottoms. The few I left in question were either not moving or had some clear, but not a lot. I didn't want to toss those "just in case".

The timing is perfect! I have my first broody who has faithfully sat on a pile of eggs for almost a week now. I'm hoping to take the couple chicks I'm keeping and just stick them under her. Lots of first for me...and I'm loving it!!

I did discard a few that I knew were behind, lots of light on the bottoms. The few I left in question were either not moving or had some clear, but not a lot. I didn't want to toss those "just in case".

The timing is perfect! I have my first broody who has faithfully sat on a pile of eggs for almost a week now. I'm hoping to take the couple chicks I'm keeping and just stick them under her. Lots of first for me...and I'm loving it!!

Knowing me, I would have left them all, just in case! haha I have trouble tossing clears!

Awesome, good luck with the broody!

Knowing me, I would have left them all, just in case! haha I have trouble tossing clears!

Awesome, good luck with the broody!
I have no problem tossing clears, but I would never toss an egg that just looked behind. If it's not clear, bloodring or ovious early quitter and it doesn't smell, it stays in the bator.

I have no problem tossing clears, but I would never toss an egg that just looked behind. If it's not clear, bloodring or ovious early quitter and it doesn't smell, it stays in the bator.

The ones I tossed had no movement the last 2 times I candled, and we're at least 50% clear with no growth progression. Darker shells so hard(for me) to distinguish a blood ring.

So excited!!! 11 are out, at least 2 more on the way.
1f604.png

I ended up with 14 hatched, 1 did not survive. Happy happy right now!! I plan to keep 3 and slip them under a broody...another first for me. Tips on doing that?? Right now I have her on eggs, in a dog crate on the floor of the coop. What's best for removing eggs and slipping chicks in? At what point do I open the crate for her to introduce them to the other hens?

I ended up with 14 hatched, 1 did not survive. Happy happy right now!! I plan to keep 3 and slip them under a broody...another first for me. Tips on doing that?? Right now I have her on eggs, in a dog crate on the floor of the coop. What's best for removing eggs and slipping chicks in? At what point do I open the crate for her to introduce them to the other hens?
That's great! Congrats!!

Back
Top Bottom