Incubator Smell

clayb226

Songster
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Missouri
Hello everyone, I was wondering, if my incubator should have a slight smell. I am on day 5, and it does not smell like a rotten egg, but like of like a hard boiled egg. I tried to smell the eggs, and could not smell it on just one egg. My temperature has stayed around 100 degrees, with one or two small spikes to 102. These spikes were for a short period, and I did not think that was very high. Should I be alarmed by this smell, this is my first time hatching, and these are my backyard mutts, but I am working on getting some BLRW eggs to hatch right after this, so I want to get it all figured out during this go around.

Thanks in advanced, have a great day, and be blessed.

Dont worry at 5 days the eggs should not be rotten unless they were bad when you put them in your bator.sometimes you will have a little smell in the bator.and dont worry about the spike in the temp unless it goes higher.this is from my exp, and I have hatched a lot of eggs.

If the smell isn't very strong but noticable it is up to you to decide that. WTS since you are so new to hatching this may be a normal scent that you think is abnormal. did you clean your eggs at all or are they a little stained, this sometimes can have a slight off putting odor.

AL

Quote:
Thanks for the fast reply, I will be candleing again in a week or so, then I will remove any bad eggs.

Quote:
I had wondered if it was a normal scent, I did clean the eggs; with a warm, damp paper towel. I have since read that may not be the best idea, but that is already done. Thanks for your reply AL

Quote:
Yeah, I figured if it was a rotten egg, that it would smell really bad, this is another reason why I could not help but wonder if it was a normal smell. Thank you also for the reply rebel.

You all have a great day, and be blessed.

I always clean my eggs before incubating, and have never had an issue with hatch rates contributed to that. I just have a problem introducing nasty dirty eggs into such a controled enviroment, LOL plus there isn't any nasty smell to deal with.

AL

Incubating, healthy live eggs definitely produce an odor -- I find it gets stronger as they approach hatch. It also varies by species, and I found ducks to be particularly "pungent". The odor of healthy, live eggs is different from the odor of dead, rotting eggs. I can't really describe it, it's definitely not a pleasant scent, but certainly not the worst thing I've ever smelled, either.

Back
Top Bottom