Incubator temp too high

It's temperature related, I'm almost certain. I had the same experience with a styrofoam incubator. Have never had that happen since I bought a more expensive one.
It's not nature's way. I have never had a splayed leg under a broody silkie
xs 2 I think most leg problems with hatchlings can be traced back to either temp (the majority) and genetics/quality of breeder and eggs.

It's not your fault. Styrofoam incubators are notoriously finicky, it seems even more so with the new LG 9300 (which I would bet money you are using). People can be successful with them, but they require much more attention than the more expensive incubators. I have a Brinsea Octagon 20. It's expensive, but well worth the money if you have a full time job and not a lot of time to keep a close eye on the incubator every day. There are people on here that get good results from LGs. AmyLynn is one, silkiefeet is another. Talk to those guys and they can give you some tips for more successful hatches in styrofoam
smile.png
dry incubation, at least TWO good checked/calibrated thermomters, a good checked hygromter and a lot of babysitting. I use the 9200 though and from most of what I heard I never want to experience the 9300...just from what I've heard about the "probe" is enough to make me steer clear of that.

My LG 9300 had a temp spike last night of near 107 for about 4 hours or so. I have heard that if the temp reached 104, the eggs were goners. This is my 5th batch and I have 12 Black French Marans,12 Americaunas along with 25 mixed breed eggs. This is the first batch that I spent money on the specialty eggs. I hope some can be hatched!

On the reason for the foot deformities, my 2nd batch had a particularly bad bunch of club feet and turned legs. Most died soon but a few survived, one still alive today even though it is horribly deformed. My thinking is as long as it can get to food and water, who am I to say it needs culling? But that is just me. A friend told me to get the humidity to about 60% or more for the last week and a half and those problems would go away. His advice worked. I kept the channels full of warm water and additionally placed a couple of moist towels inside to achieve the raised humidity. I had no deformed feet or legs.

Maybe others can benefit from this. I hope so. I really like raising chickens and gain a lot from Backyard Chickens.

Good Luck.

I was glad to find this thread. I had a temperature spike last night of at least 106. It is a Little Giant 9300 and while I love the new design, I am really not happy with these temperature variations. I don't go by the digital thermometer on the unit. I have an AccuRite thermometer that I trust.
However, I did have a good experience with Miller Manufacturing when I first bought this unit. The computer board that it came with did not work properly (couldn't adjust temps); I called them and they sent me another computer part right away. Most days it holds the temperature beautifully and then it will do this weird spike thing! Very frustrating. Next go round I will be adding a fan unit and hope it will help.
It is going to be a Longer few days than normal until hatching
fl.gif
...I've got a dozen Pea eggs in the bator.

Thanks for listening!

So what do u all do when u have a temp spike?
I have an LG 10300. My temp spiked to (i have 3 aquarium thermometers plus the bator mometer) 108°, 105° & 102°, when i checked it at 6:30am today. It was almost 100° outside in my state/town yesterday, this didn't help. The bedroom i have t/bator in stays at 70°-80°, today it went up to 82° in/t room. I put a larger oscillating fan in the rm (we dont have airconditioning) this helped lower the temp back to 78°.
I turned my air circ/heater fan down 1°, checked it 30 mins later, all t/mometers went down about 2°-3°. Checked it again 30 mins later & it went back up. So, i took the lid off 1/2 way and w/t oscillating fan in the room the temp went down dramaticly in a few mins. I didn't want to yo-yo or chill t/eggs, so i put the lid back on. 30 mins later, again, temps back up, now i am yo-yoing my poor eggs! I took the lid off again Slightly! Temps r coming down slowly.
Any comments welcome or tricks of t/trade!! YIKES!

Back
Top Bottom