Incubator test eggs

FVRM

Songster
6 Years
Jan 15, 2014
St. Pauls North Carolina
I have 5 eggs in my brinsea mini advance. They are from Roscoe (a red sexlink rooster) and two buff orpingtons. Those eggs have taken so much abuse, i would be happy if only one hatched. Right now i have hopes for 2 of them hatching. I will keep updating until hatch day, 20 days from now.

Do you have any stories about abused eggs hatching?

I have Silkies, and my girls didn't start laying until nearly a year after I got them. I really wanted to hatch, but I've always heard you shouldn't hatch pullet eggs because they can be thick or thin shelled, porous, they just aren't the best choice incubating. So, I put their first eggs in the refrigerator, pointy side up (hatching eggs should be stored pointy end down). I left them in the fridge for nearly 2 weeks. About the time I decided I couldn't wait any longer, my girls stopped laying. I picked 7 random eggs from the refrigerator, crossed my fingers and hopes for the best. I had two adorable chicks hatch, one of which I still have. Her eggs are in my incubator now
1f60d.png

My last hatch I dropped an egg while I was turning and chipped a big piece of shell of on the air sac. I threw it in the trash, took it back out and threw it in the trash again. Then decided I had to give it a chance. I put a piece of duct tape over the hole in the shell and continued on as usual. That egg actually hatched first. It pipped the wrong end and sort of busted out, but it hatched all on its own and was healthy.

Those are my crazy incubating stories, though I much prefer when all goes smoothly. Happy hatching!

I have 5 eggs in my brinsea mini advance. They are from Roscoe (a red sexlink rooster) and two buff orpingtons. Those eggs have taken so much abuse, i would be happy if only one hatched. Right now i have hopes for 2 of them hatching. I will keep updating until hatch day, 20 days from now.

Do you have any stories about abused eggs hatching?

I have 10 silkie crosses that got bumped around pretty bad during shipping. All of them have detached air sacs. But I am on day 5, and all have veining.

There are several of us hatching together, if you want to come over and check. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/846539/jan-feb-2014-hatch-a-long

I have Silkies, and my girls didn't start laying until nearly a year after I got them. I really wanted to hatch, but I've always heard you shouldn't hatch pullet eggs because they can be thick or thin shelled, porous, they just aren't the best choice incubating. So, I put their first eggs in the refrigerator, pointy side up (hatching eggs should be stored pointy end down). I left them in the fridge for nearly 2 weeks. About the time I decided I couldn't wait any longer, my girls stopped laying. I picked 7 random eggs from the refrigerator, crossed my fingers and hopes for the best. I had two adorable chicks hatch, one of which I still have. Her eggs are in my incubator now
1f60d.png

My last hatch I dropped an egg while I was turning and chipped a big piece of shell of on the air sac. I threw it in the trash, took it back out and threw it in the trash again. Then decided I had to give it a chance. I put a piece of duct tape over the hole in the shell and continued on as usual. That egg actually hatched first. It pipped the wrong end and sort of busted out, but it hatched all on its own and was healthy.

Those are my crazy incubating stories, though I much prefer when all goes smoothly. Happy hatching!
Wow that chick must be indestructible

Back
Top Bottom