incubator too high lead to death?

Oh that's so cool. I'm thinking you'd have to do this fast as I've read a million times not to open the incubator during lockdown.
I also read some posts from seasoned hatchers on this site saying that was OK to open the incubator during lock down. I had a couple of shrinkwrapped chicks while the incubator was closed, and the temp climed to 106. So, IMO, the shrinkwrapp was due to the TEMP being too high, not humidity being too low. Luckily, I rescued both of them in time, and I had to open the lid to do that.

Thank you for the encouragement I really thought I'd lost them esp when I candled and saw no movement. This may be a dumb question but how do you tell when it internally pips? Can u see it when you candle?

Yes, you can see. I learned this interesting bit of information over on the goose thread. The air sac will look really lopsided, or even "broken" instead of level. I believe the pictures are in a goose hatching thread - it's really popular and easy to find.
ETA: The OP on the thread I mentioned also does open the incubator, and disregards lockdown. What he says makes sense, and it has worked for me - I am starting to have better hatches now, thank goodness.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Yes, you can see.  I learned this interesting bit of information over on the goose thread.  The air sac will look really lopsided, or even "broken" instead of level.  I believe the pictures are in a goose hatching thread - it's really popular and easy to find. 
ETA:  The OP on the thread I mentioned also does open the incubator, and disregards lockdown.  What he says makes sense, and it has worked for me - I am starting to have better hatches now, thank goodness.
Hope this helps!

Thank you so much I'm headed over to go take a look at it now. Thank you

I try not to during "lockdown" but at times its necessary if the humidity drops and you have to add water , or if a couple of the ducklings hatch and are ready to come out and playing football with their brothers and sisters I open..at the moment i have 4 cuyoga eggs that will probably be hatched when i get home, but i have 5 mandarin eggs in with them that have only been in for 3 days and i have to turn them..i don't typically do that..but i had no choice, my other incubator is full...and my cuyogas are hatching just fine..i've been opening and turning through the whole lockdown phase..misting the eggs when i do it and keeping them moist..just gotta be vigilant.

Ooh cayugas! I have 3 of them and they turning out to be so gorgeous they are 9 weeks now. Well I did open the bator this morning to take out the cloth I put in there as it was at 85% humidity and since its been at around 70%. I'm hoping that's right. I also couldn't resist candling them to see if they have internally pipped yet. By candling I mean I just put the light up to the air sac I didn't touch or move the eggs. How long before they internally pip? I know it depends on the egg but about how long does it take or what day? I can see through the air sacs and its looking like the veins are starting to disappear just under the air sac. I'm sure I didn't explain that well but I'm hoping you understand what I mean. http://heedleyshens.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/ll.jpg this is the best pic I could find that's close to what I'm looking at only the veins are starting to disappear. I can't seem to see them as well as I used to.

Edited: to fix link

Last edited:
Wow, My incubator went to 41 but sadly one chick died, my other one somehow survived! I think it's a silkie. I named him Pip. He is pipping as I'm writing this.
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom