incubator vs broody - can you switch?

hfchristy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 10, 2012
I have a duck who seems to be flirting with the idea of going broody, sitting on the nest as long as everyone else is in the cage, but running off when the others are let out for a walk. I suspect that if we didn't keep taking her eggs, she might decide to get serious, but I don't really want more of the same breed, so am hoping to swap different eggs.
Question #1 - if we let her build up her clutch of eggs and she comes back to the nest one day and it's full of eggs that aren't hers, will she notice the difference?
Question #2 - if she doesn't go broody and I have to put purchased eggs in an incubator, then she (or another duck) go broody later, can I transfer the eggs and put them under her?
Question #3 - if I wait until she is confirmed to be broody, then buy eggs to swap under her, will that delay cause her to give up on the nest once she's been sitting 4 weeks, even though the eggs aren't done?

I've had successful hatches in the past, but last year's was just awful and stressful, and I'd rather let a mama duck handle it if I can!

Question #1 - if we let her build up her clutch of eggs and she comes back to the nest one day and it's full of eggs that aren't hers, will she notice the difference?
I’ve never had broody ducks, but I’ve had chickens. Mine don’t notice a difference.
Question #2 - if she doesn't go broody and I have to put purchased eggs in an incubator, then she (or another duck) go broody later, can I transfer the eggs and put them under her?
Sure, not a problem. Unless they’re in lockdown, in which case you have to put them in the almost exact same position.
Question #3 - if I wait until she is confirmed to be broody, then buy eggs to swap under her, will that delay cause her to give up on the nest once she's been sitting 4 weeks, even though the eggs aren't done?
It depends on how determined she is to be broody. If she’s only meh broody I don’t think she’ll be able to go that long without eggs.
I've had successful hatches in the past, but last year's was just awful and stressful, and I'd rather let a mama duck handle it if I can!
Keep in mind, first time broody hens/ducks aren’t very good moms. Good luck!

I’ve never had broody ducks, but I’ve had chickens. Mine don’t notice a difference.

Sure, not a problem. Unless they’re in lockdown, in which case you have to put them in the almost exact same position.

It depends on how determined she is to be broody. If she’s only meh broody I don’t think she’ll be able to go that long without eggs.

Keep in mind, first time broody hens/ducks aren’t very good moms. Good luck!
My Broody first time Mallard was sitting on both Rouen eggs and Mallard. I did not want that may Mallards but wanted Rouens so I left the Rouen eggs in the nest that the Rouen hens had placed there and replaced some of the Mallard eggs with fake ceramic eggs I bought and also golf balls. She threw all of the fake ones aside including the golf balls and sat on all of the eggs. Only one Mallard hatched out that the Drake killed, he was so good with her that I trusted him, I should not have. After at least 35 days of sitting she gave up and quit. I bought 4 eggs into my house to add with another 6 I had in a home made incubator and a week later one has hatched out and another one is trying, They were cold for at least 12 hours in 50 degree weather and still look promising. The incubator I made was a joke but so far is working just fine and cost me a total of three dollars to make since I had some of the stuff lying around I used. Good luck with yours. She was a first time Mom but my other first time Mom hatched out 11 Mallard babies and did just fine, they all survived. They are all different for sure.

My Broody first time Mallard was sitting on both Rouen eggs and Mallard. I did not want that may Mallards but wanted Rouens so I left the Rouen eggs in the nest that the Rouen hens had placed there and replaced some of the Mallard eggs with fake ceramic eggs I bought and also golf balls. She threw all of the fake ones aside including the golf balls and sat on all of the eggs. Only one Mallard hatched out that the Drake killed, he was so good with her that I trusted him, I should not have. After at least 35 days of sitting she gave up and quit. I bought 4 eggs into my house to add with another 6 I had in a home made incubator and a week later one has hatched out and another one is trying, They were cold for at least 12 hours in 50 degree weather and still look promising. The incubator I made was a joke but so far is working just fine and cost me a total of three dollars to make since I had some of the stuff lying around I used. Good luck with yours. She was a first time Mom but my other first time Mom hatched out 11 Mallard babies and did just fine, they all survived. They are all different for sure.
I’m sorry. You should never trust any animal. They’re rather unpredictable. Good for the other babies, though.

I’m sorry. You should never trust any animal. They’re rather unpredictable. Good for the other babies, though.
Second baby duckling has hatched out of this home made incubator. I have seen wild Drakes with the Hens with their babies is the only way I thought I could trust him. They were both rescued wild at a day old when Momma was killed. Otherwise I would of never of trusted him. I have learned though and can't believe these babies are hatching out of this incubator that I made.

Second baby duckling has hatched out of this home made incubator. I have seen wild Drakes with the Hens with their babies is the only way I thought I could trust him. They were both rescued wild at a day old when Momma was killed. Otherwise I would of never of trusted him. I have learned though and can't believe these babies are hatching out of this incubator that I made.
Well congrats on the other babies!

Back
Top Bottom