Incubator went to 40 celcius while I was out for several hours. will chicks be dead? 15 days in...

Bonji

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2015
sunshine coast
My Coop
My Coop
My first incubating session, and today was very hot. My little incubator didn't cope so well in south east queensland. Has anyone had a similar thing happen and still had chickens hatch.
Thanks, this is my first post and I am glad to be in the realm of chicken lovers. My partner doesn't share my same enthusiasm and care unfortunately.

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

What kind of incubator are using? It all depends on how long they were at that temp. The eggs take longer than the air to cool down or warm up. If the spike happened just before you returned and were able to correct, then there is hope. If you were gone for several hours and the spike happened soon after your departure, then chances don't bode well for them. The best thing to do is give them 24 hours and then candle to see if there is any moment. At day 15 it might be hard to tell though. I would finish off the incubation and hope fo the best.

Thankyou, i will try candling tonight. It's a janoel 12. Looked to be going well too.Have put some other eggs under a muscovy, maybe that will be better. Very disheartening to think I might have lost the little cherubs.

So I not really sure how long eggs were at 40.3 degrees celcius plus in janoel12 but somewhere between 1 and 4 hrs. 4 eggs were in there and 2 have hatched so far. Bantam leghorns. Amazing how worked up one can get under the stress of it all. But afterall they are little beautiful lives that we are totally responsible for. It's that really I want to be the perfect father,mother for them as this whole scenario in the incubator was my doing. Happy, healthy chickens too all. Bless these gifts and may life sm7le in many such magnificent ways for 6s all.

So I not really sure how long eggs were at 40.3 degrees celcius plus in janoel12 but somewhere between 1 and 4 hrs. 4 eggs were in there and 2 have hatched so far. Bantam leghorns. Amazing how worked up one can get under the stress of it all. But afterall they are little beautiful lives that we are totally responsible for. It's that really I want to be the perfect father,mother for them as this whole scenario in the incubator was my doing. Happy, healthy chickens too all. Bless these gifts and may life sm7le in many such magnificent ways for 6s all.
That's great. What day are you on now? Bantams are known to be a day or two early, just in case you didn't know and get more freaked out if the other's aren't right behind...lol

Great yes! So I am on day 21 now after both bantams appearing yesterday. There is a hole in one of the 2 other isa brown eggs this morning. Really love to get those bantams out as one of them has been hatched for 18 hours now. Lots of cheeps and brooder ready to go. I read mostly that they don't needfood or water for first 48 hours, but someone told me I must get water to them in first 24 hours. Is this true? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom