Incubator went up to 40c for 3 hours

Jaysquails

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2016
hi their guys I put in some eggs into my incubator last night and over night it went up to 40c for about 3 hours because I'm a night owl and a early bird haha!. Will these eggs have gone bad or have I still got a chance thanks guys!.

Unfortunately that is the killing temperature :( That's the temperature that eggs can't survive if they get up to it. 3 hours may have been long enough for the egg's internal temperature to reach 40 C. If that happened they will no longer be good. You can give it until Day 5 and candle to check if you want to be sure but there's definitely a chance that they have died.

Definitely leave the eggs! Leave them until at least day 5 like Pyxis said and candle them. I was hatching 4 bantam eggs in an old incubator of mine (2 were infertile from the beginning so I tossed them) . But the temp got up to 104 F a few times and even got up to 106 F once! And one of those eggs is hatching today. So some of your eggs probably survived, just keep the temp stable and wait.:fl

Definitely leave the eggs! Leave them until at least day 5 like Pyxis said and candle them. I was hatching 4 bantam eggs in an old incubator of mine (2 were infertile from the beginning so I tossed them) . But the temp got up to 104 F a few times and even got up to 106 F once! And one of those eggs is hatching today. So some of your eggs probably survived, just keep the temp stable and wait.:fl
Thanks for the reply guys. And that's upset me very much I had some black francolin eggs in their I'm not sure if you guys know about them. Luckily I got them for free but they go for about 40-50 gbp on eBay in the U.K. I will leave the eggs in the bator and prey however the temp keeps rising to about 38 and goes to 37 will this matter too much?

Just as an update for any future people going through this situation. I have candles the eggs and found only 2 of the 7 haven't made it so far touch wood we should have some chickies in 17 days. DO NOT BE DISHEARTENED if this happen to you. Just stick with it candle the eggs in a few days and hopefully you should see the chick growing in the shells

Man hoping the best for mine, i got 18 eggs going on day 3 and the little giant incubators heater is terrible and not accurate but i have a thermometer and i went in earlier it was at 99.5F 4 hours later it was at 104F. Not sure how long it was like that for or if it went higher or not but hopefully all is well.

Jaimes I have a older little giant and have to admit, it is a real crappy incubator and hard to control temps. My older little giant does not seal well.
I am not sure what model you have.
I use towels over my little giant and use a temp controller with it now, still a not very good incubator, but alot better than it was.
Temp controller I use

STC-1000 Digital Thermostat for Incubator Temperature Control Thermoregulator

there are better temp controllers on the market, but then there is better incubators.

Jaimes I have a older little giant and have to admit, it is a real crappy incubator and hard to control temps. My older little giant does not seal well.
I am not sure what model you have.
I use towels over my little giant and use a temp controller with it now, still a not very good incubator, but alot better than it was.
Temp controller I use

STC-1000 Digital Thermostat for Incubator Temperature Control Thermoregulator

there are better temp controllers on the market, but then there is better incubators.
I have another smaller incubator but that little gisnt one was big enough for the eggs i had but yes the temperature fluctuates a ton.

Back
Top Bottom