Incubator went up to 40c for 3 hours

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jaysquails, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Jaysquails

Jaysquails Just Hatched

Aug 2, 2016
    hi their guys I put in some eggs into my incubator last night and over night it went up to 40c for about 3 hours because I'm a night owl and a early bird haha!. Will these eggs have gone bad or have I still got a chance thanks guys!.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Unfortunately that is the killing temperature :( That's the temperature that eggs can't survive if they get up to it. 3 hours may have been long enough for the egg's internal temperature to reach 40 C. If that happened they will no longer be good. You can give it until Day 5 and candle to check if you want to be sure but there's definitely a chance that they have died.

3. LittleBird123

LittleBird123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2016
    USA, Michigan
    Definitely leave the eggs! Leave them until at least day 5 like Pyxis said and candle them. I was hatching 4 bantam eggs in an old incubator of mine (2 were infertile from the beginning so I tossed them) . But the temp got up to 104 F a few times and even got up to 106 F once! And one of those eggs is hatching today. So some of your eggs probably survived, just keep the temp stable and wait.:fl

4. Jaysquails

Jaysquails Just Hatched

Aug 2, 2016
    Thanks for the reply guys. And that's upset me very much I had some black francolin eggs in their I'm not sure if you guys know about them. Luckily I got them for free but they go for about 40-50 gbp on eBay in the U.K. I will leave the eggs in the bator and prey however the temp keeps rising to about 38 and goes to 37 will this matter too much?

5. Jaysquails

Jaysquails Just Hatched

Aug 2, 2016
    Just as an update for any future people going through this situation. I have candles the eggs and found only 2 of the 7 haven't made it so far touch wood we should have some chickies in 17 days. DO NOT BE DISHEARTENED if this happen to you. Just stick with it candle the eggs in a few days and hopefully you should see the chick growing in the shells

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by