Incubators Anonymous

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Auroradream26, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California
    I sell them on Craiglist. Or check with your local feed store

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Soup... fried... Chow mien.... Hot dishes... Ground chicken burgers... Sausage...

1 person likes this.
  3. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Give him time and find a great deal on a used cabinet, he may give in :) Mine did! I found a cabinet bator for $200 and he gave in and let me get it. I don't think he ever imagined I'd fill it lol

That's the risk of it, getting stuck with a bunch of extra chicks. I advertise mine on pennswoods.net, craigslist, and Facebook pages. I try to make it to the tractor supply swaps too to sell mine. It happens though, getting sick with extra chicks. Those ones end up growing until they're big enough to butcher and go to the freezer. Unless they're pullets, then they usually can be sold fairly easy.

4. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Looks like I'm going to have to set up a 4th brooder. Babies aren't moving out fast enough right now. I know it always comes in waves and they'll all go pretty much at once but they're getting pretty crammed right now.

I have a relatively small hatch happening this weekend. Only about 42 eggs locked down :)

5. shawn54

shawn54 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Hastings Pa
    Day 20 for my 28 turkey eggs lost 1 with a big crack not sure who's happened 3 that never started clear as day 1 and one or two that look way behind others rest have movement and are looking mostly dark. Fingers crossed DIY bator and first attempt so far so good. Won't look again until lockdown then just to remove clears.

6. shawn54

shawn54 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Hastings Pa
    Waiting to see results. If they do well thinking 50 jumbos quail from James Marie don't need 50 quail but figure on 50% hatch won't be to many. Here we go!!!!!!!

7. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    :fl

Hope your quail and turkeys hatch well for you

8. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California
    I have 13 chicks so far and 4 more pips. Ending day 21, so let's hope the pipped make it!!

9. mchlldickson

mchlldickson Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Corona Ca
    My name is Michelle. I've had chickens for about 4 years now. I have 8 hens of all different breeds, although buff orphs are my favorite I like a variation.

I just recently added a fertile Lavendar Silkie to my flock and got two eggs with her... That's where the trouble started! I remembered my daughters kindergarten class is hatching eggs, so I asked her teacher to stick mine in her bator because I'd never done it before.

About a week has passed and I get the itch, I think to myself why the heck can't I give it a try? I always though it would be so cool, but it's pretty intimidating! So I got on eBay and bid on some fertile eggs. I've always wanted a polish, so I though okay I'll just get a few... I won 21!! Don't forget the two I have in the school bator.

The shipped in two days! I had no idea that the woman I bought them from was going to ship them so fast! I thought I had until at least next week! So I went to TSC and picked up a Farm Innovators Pro Series Digital, this thing kicks butt! They arrived today and had to rest for 12 hrs before I put them in the new incubator, well I left for the weekend a few hours after they arrived. My husband is at home in charge! I asked him, because I'm so excited and sad in not there, to FaceTime me when he puts them in!

I'm so excited, I can hardly see straight!

10. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Lets go babies! You need to post pictures when they hatch :)

Welcome to the addiction! You think you're excited now, wait until you see those fluffy little babies. Especially silkies and polish. They make the cutest little fluff butts :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by