Incubators Anonymous

Kinda sad. I was switching over to my new bator, so I stopped incubating for a bit and I didn't hatch anything this week! So many swaps to choose from today, & I have NOTHING to sell! So no excuse to go and see all the pretty chickens! :/

Kinda sad. I was switching over to my new bator, so I stopped incubating for a bit and I didn't hatch anything this week! So many swaps to choose from today, & I have NOTHING to sell! So no excuse to go and see all the pretty chickens!
hmm.png

You could go "window shopping" and see what's being offered so you can plan for your next swap, or get the contact info of someone who has a bird you want.
wink.png

I'm going to start researching what's needed to build a homemade incubator. I currently have a Little Giant 9200 Still Air. I'd like to see if I get a higher success rate using a homemade one.

You could go "window shopping" and see what's being offered so you can plan for your next swap, or get the contact info of someone who has a bird you want. ;)

I'm going to start researching what's needed to build a homemade incubator. I currently have a Little Giant 9200 Still Air. I'd like to see if I get a higher success rate using a homemade one.

I may go to the closest one and just hang out with some fellow poultry lovers!
ETA- Anything is better than sitting home listening to the grand baby screaming all day! Lol She's in a phase, but drives INSANE!!!!
I just made Sally Sunshine's Cabinet CoolerBator. Its pretty awesome!! I'm only on day 8 with it, but it is holding nice and steady!

Last edited:
I should leave all my $$ at home though!! Lol Tuesday I'm picking up 6 new EE hens, a pair of Buff Silkies, & a new outdoor brooder! Can't wait to start setting all those EE eggs!!! Except, I still need a rooster. I got one last week, along with a new hen. They have both been in quarantine and are sick! So I tried antibiotics, but they seem REALLY sick, so gotta cull today and scrub out quarantine pen with bleach!

I may go to the closest one and just hang out with some fellow poultry lovers!
ETA- Anything is better than sitting home listening to the grand baby screaming all day! Lol She's in a phase, but drives INSANE!!!!
I just made Sally Sunshine's Cabinet CoolerBator. Its pretty awesome!! I'm only on day 8 with it, but it is holding nice and steady!

I found really good instructions with photos and all about how to make one of the Styrofoam cooler incubators. Now I need to work on getting the parts I don't already have. (Thermostat is a biggie.) My LG still air has held steady for temp and humidity, but I still lost 14 out of 20 eggs already. I'm going into lock down as we speak (working on getting the humidity up to the appropriate levels) and am praying I don't lose any more eggs/chicks!

I'm sorry to hear about your new birds! Do you know what they got sick from?

I have eggs due the 3rd, which means they should go into lockdown tomorrow (Saturday). And I have eggs due the 5th, which means they should go into lockdown Monday.

So what should I do? Meet them in the middle and put them all into lockdown on Sunday?

I would probably put the first bunch in a day late and the others a day early...

I found really good instructions with photos and all about how to make one of the Styrofoam cooler incubators. Now I need to work on getting the parts I don't already have. (Thermostat is a biggie.) My LG still air has held steady for temp and humidity, but I still lost 14 out of 20 eggs already. I'm going into lock down as we speak (working on getting the humidity up to the appropriate levels) and am praying I don't lose any more eggs/chicks!

I'm sorry to hear about your new birds! Do you know what they got sick from?

Likely sick when I got them, just no symptoms. The stress of the move can cause symptoms to begin. The next morning she had a runny nose and a few sneezes, its just gotten progressively worse since then for them both. That's the whole point of quarantine though!! Cause a healthy looking bird can fool ya. :/

Quote:

It is one of them digital read out one's ....

I was wondering if the egg's were giving of that much humidity from the dehydration going on but then just this last month I had a whale of a time getting up to 60% humidity but it is almost 100 F degrees here .....

Digital is all I have and you still need to calibrate it they are almost NEVER right.

Thank you for the help and yes it was reading 12 high but with help from the manufacture so now it is working a lot better and the dehumidifier part of it was not working correctly as a wire was in the wrong hole but that is now also fixed and it now takes some doing to get the humidity above the setting but it will correct itself in a couple of hours ...

So again thank you for the help ,,,, Nice to know I can still learn something everyday
thumbsup.gif

Quote: YOu don't really need the manual, but if you do want it , it is available on line at the MIller company. try using MIller, Litter GIant, manual, incubator. THere is another MIller company that is all horse stuff- you won't find ti there. lol

Hop on over to the LG thread-- we are there to help newbie LG operators. Well worth reading the whole thread.

Back
Top Bottom