Incubators Anonymous

Omg I let the incubator sit empty for a whole day!

Now it has 4 dozen quail eggs and 4 duck eggs in it though.

BUT I WENT ONE WHOLE DAY! *proud*
rofl. that's why i hven't fixed the fan on my 4th... i'm afraid if i do, then i'll keep it running 24x7 too.

yuckyuck.gif

It's why I have only 2.

ok, i've got a question on sexing barred rock babies. anyone care to help?
here's Ducky (OEGB broody momma) with 8 LF barred rocks, 2 oegb and 2 bantam cochins. 8) being a good momma even tho the rocks are nearly as big as she is now! LOL

i'm thinking the more heavily barred (like on top of ducky's shoulder to the left) is a cockerel and the ones with minimal barring (like the one perched in the doorway) is a pullet?

Last edited:
ok, i've got a question on sexing barred rock babies. anyone care to help?
here's Ducky (OEGB broody momma) with 8 LF barred rocks, 2 oegb and 2 bantam cochins. 8) being a good momma even tho the rocks are nearly as big as she is now! LOL

i'm thinking the more heavily barred (like on top of ducky's shoulder to the left) is a cockerel and the ones with minimal barring (like the one perched in the doorway) is a pullet?

You are correct.

My incubators are not jammed anymore... I gave up on turners! Did you know you can get another dozen in without them!
celebrate.gif

I did buy a third bator... it's smallish... I use it to hatch because with all the eggs in the bators I couldn't keep the humidity right if I upped it to hatch.
hide.gif

So I only have 4-5 dozen in right now and they will all be done by June 22nd... so does that mean I'm cured from this addiction?
ep.gif

Ohh! I forgot I put more eggs in this morning. Only four.
he.gif

Last edited:
I am up to 151 eggs with more sapose to be shipping today and Im still waiting on the person that was sapose to send me 18 sfh eggs in trade for my turner havent heard from them in over a week. so I think Im in full blown addiction mode especally as I am very irratated I cant do the whole store bought egg thing
rant.gif

I thought I had this whole thing figured out. I borrowed a Sportsman so I could get everything I wanted shipped in , set and finished in a little over a month. Sounds like a good plan??? Till we had a 15 min storm and the power went out !! I really didn't think anything about it at first, it was early evening and I work mid-nights so I went back to sleep. When I got up for work, the power was still out, Very unusual here for it to be out more than an hour. I threw blankets over the bators, and went to work. Hubby could uncover them when the power came on. When I got home from work the power was still out! It finally came back on at 11:15am, 14+ hrs. So maybe this was not the best time to borrow a Sportsman. I do know that the egg that had gone into lockdown that morning, most hatched, but failed to absorb. We will just have to wait and see about the rest (2 to 13 days in). In the mean time I am sitting down to figure out how to afford reordering all those eggs over again, in as short a time as possible. As my DS says "the best laid plans----" We are going to have backup power soon, even tho this is the first time this has happened in the 7+ yrs we've lived here.
I have a Hovabator w/turner and a Repti Pro (mostly for hatching ). I am thinking I may just stick to "A little at a time". (All the time
hide.gif
)

I thought I had this whole thing figured out. I borrowed a Sportsman so I could get everything I wanted shipped in , set and finished in a little over a month. Sounds like a good plan??? Till we had a 15 min storm and the power went out !! I really didn't think anything about it at first, it was early evening and I work mid-nights so I went back to sleep. When I got up for work, the power was still out, Very unusual here for it to be out more than an hour. I threw blankets over the bators, and went to work. Hubby could uncover them when the power came on. When I got home from work the power was still out! It finally came back on at 11:15am, 14+ hrs. So maybe this was not the best time to borrow a Sportsman. I do know that the egg that had gone into lockdown that morning, most hatched, but failed to absorb. We will just have to wait and see about the rest (2 to 13 days in). In the mean time I am sitting down to figure out how to afford reordering all those eggs over again, in as short a time as possible. As my DS says "the best laid plans----" We are going to have backup power soon, even tho this is the first time this has happened in the 7+ yrs we've lived here.
    I have a Hovabator w/turner and a Repti Pro (mostly for hatching ). I am thinking I may just stick to "A little at a time". (All the time :oops: )

Good luck dont give up. I have had power off all night and still had ok hatches.

I actually think the ones that were in lockdown were the worst of it (I hope anyway), Having to put down the chicks, and a turkey poult as they hatched because they had failed to absorb was heart breaking. I've had them before, on occasion, just not most of the hatch like this. I'm guessing the rest will either be late or just quit. I candled the ducks (about a week in) in the RP and they were kicking away, most of the eggs in the Sportsman are either dark or had only been in 2 to 3 days, so I'll wait at least a week or so before I candle.

Back
Top Bottom