Incubators Anonymous

I hatched my first chick today in my rcom mini and have five eggs in lockdown in my Brinsea mini wik nine more turning in a napole...sensing a trend here? All the eggs are shipped so hatch rate remains to be.seen. I did not think that one egg in the rcom was viable so I was.going.to take it out to give the chick more room but it was actually peeping so I put it nack in. I hope I didn't kill it. The first of the three in the rcom was peeping and rocking then stopped yesterday. Should I leave it in another day?

Hatching egg question- when collecting for incubation how often do you turn them until are ready to put in incubator?
The books I have read said to put them in an egg carton pointy side down and put something under one side so it tilts. Then tilt the carton to the other side at least twice a day.

I hatched my first chick today in my rcom mini and have five eggs in lockdown in my Brinsea mini wik nine more turning in a napole...sensing a trend here? All the eggs are shipped so hatch rate remains to be.seen. I did not think that one egg in the rcom was viable so I was.going.to take it out to give the chick more room but it was actually peeping so I put it nack in. I hope I didn't kill it. The first of the three in the rcom was peeping and rocking then stopped yesterday. Should I leave it in another day?
read this thread has excellent advice on hatching, within this thread is how to float test as well....it's well worth the time it takes to read!
Step by Step Guide to ASSISTED Hatching - BackYard Chickens Community

read, read, and read again......before doing ANYTHING!

Last edited:
Also here is another very informative thread....has instructions on how to prepare shipped eggs for incubation...its a must read also....my first time hatching shipped eggs was a huge disappointment...I had no clue about detached air cells and etc......

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

hi donna, thankyou so much for replying and sorry it took me so long to respond. i appreciate what you said and am definately going to the local blue seal and feeds store to get them as chicks. i definately don't want any roosters! one of my daughters has asperger's and she would be petrified of one. didn't think that one through very well, so thanks. what do you think of the barred rocks , silverlaced wyandotte's and the ameraucana's? they are what i am thinking of getting as blue seal offers them. again, thanks. julie

hi donna, thankyou so much for replying and sorry it took me so long to respond. i appreciate what you said and am definately going to the local blue seal and feeds store to get them as chicks. i definately don't want any roosters! one of my daughters has asperger's and she would be petrified of one. didn't think that one through very well, so thanks. what do you think of the barred rocks , silverlaced wyandotte's and the ameraucana's? they are what i am thinking of getting as blue seal offers them. again, thanks. julie

I have ALL those LOL. I don't have hatchery ones. My original hatchery BR were quite bossy, and the Ameraucanas will be EE, but I love EE. Very hardy and great layers, Ameraucanas.... not so much.
roll.png
I have seen some nice hatchery SLW too. They will be better layers than mine too I am sure. GOOD LUCK!

Back
Top Bottom