Incubators Anonymous

If I post a few pics of my chicks on here would someone tell me what they are? I posted on a "what are my chicks" thread a week ago, but still no response. I was told they are Rock white/ RIR mix, but (I'm new at this) they LOOK like their wings are more of a buff color than white or red. I know it could be the 2 colors mixed, but I'm just curios lol.

2 weeks old

2 weeks

2 weeks

2 weeks

2 weeks

2 weeks

2 weeks

2 weeks

2 weeks

2 weeks (I know what the black and white one is, she is an evil barred rock lol! she bit me today!)

Sorry there's so many lol

Last edited:
If I post a few pics of my chicks on here would someone tell me what they are? I posted on a "what are my chicks" thread a week ago, but still no response. I was told they are Rock white/ RIR mix, but (I'm new at this) they LOOK like their wings are more of a buff color than white or red. I know it could be the 2 colors mixed, but I'm just curios lol.
LOL i have a hard enough time telling my own chicks, which is which... and I own the parents!

if you didn't get them from a feed store/hatchery, and weren't told what breed they were when you got them, chances are, they're mutt. still chickens, but most cross breeds aren't predictable how they'll turn out.

LOL i have a hard enough time telling my own chicks, which is which... and I own the parents!

How Tue is that for everyone with chicken

if you didn't get them from a feed store/hatchery, and weren't told what breed they were when you got them, chances are, they're mutt. still chickens, but most cross breeds aren't predictable how they'll turn out.

They look a lot like Amber Whites which yes are mutts

Last edited:

2 weeks old

2 weeks

2 weeks

2 weeks

2 weeks

2 weeks

2 weeks

2 weeks

2 weeks

2 weeks (I know what the black and white one is, she is an evil barred rock lol! she bit me today!)

Sorry there's so many lol

If the Roo was the RIR and the Hen the White Rock, then they're sexlinks, with darker chicks being girls. Otherwise they're going to be a messy mix of red, buff, cream and white.

OK I got some Lexan today. I am not doing the whole front in that it is expensive
ep.gif
I don't want to double pane the plastic either, condensation would be a problem. I will just have a window to look in on the trays. I can pull them out if I need a better view. The bottom doors will have a bigger piece of plastic on one side and that is where I will put my thermometer and hygrometer. Might even up grade those a little. That poor thing is not liking the humidity too much. Missing some parts of the numbers now LOL.

The Lexan is 12 x 24 I think I can get 3 4x12 windows for the drawers the the 12 x 12 will be the window in one of the doors or I could cut that in half and have a window on each door.... what do you think?

I have been thinking.... my baskets I use now have a solid bottom and the air gets in from the sides and top. Can I still use the solid bottoms? Since the air will be moving all around the drawers I think it will be ok, but wanted a second opinion. I think on one hand it would cut down the AIR FLOW over the eggs and chicks so it might help with shrink wrapping. The drawers will be hardware cloth on the bottom.

Was it here or somewhere else that they were talking about the stuff for cigar humidors? I need that info so I can go look.....

Yes they are all pheasants..

Are all your eggs pheasant eggs?  I do not know what the humidity is supposed to be for them - only for chickens - and it varies depending on your altitude...
[/quote]

Quote: Oz-- what plugs into the hydrostate? THe dehumidifier? Do you see as diff in room humidity v. inside the incubator??

Quote: Haaahaaa, I did a double take, too.

OK here is a pic of my SOON TO BE HATCHER... suggestions are welcome. I have requested windows on the drawers... need to find some glass for that. I want it on some legs so I don't have to bend over too much with my bad back. So far I like it LOTS. I suggested making the doors shorter since I will not be in there much. Might not be an easy thing to do so we will see. I will have a vent in the top and maybe one on the back too.

yippiechickie.gif
Awesome!!

Last edited:
ok, well, i almost forgot... eggs went into lockdown today. a day late, but the sfh have been cooking a bit longer than usual so...
hu.gif

i've got SFH, BLRW & MFC. for the uninitiated, that's swedish flower hen, blue laced red wyandotte and mille fleur cochin (bantam). we'll see if (my EE roo) weeble's influence on the blrw wore off by this batch. LOL pretty sure the blrw looking chick is his too, from it's dark feet, even tho it REALLY looks like a blrw in the body pattern (ok, it's a week old so far...)

gotta get a broody set up for these guys. i've got 41 eggs in the hatcher... ok. a couple broodies, i guess. well, maybe 3. LOL i've got 3 mfc girls all being broody in the same nest... so maybe that'll work out.

Ki4got-- I was thinking of giving a broody a few chicks , well more like10-12. Now that they are a few days old, will she accept them?? THis is my first time giving chicks to a broody, usually I'm taking the chicks. LOL

If the Roo was the RIR and the Hen the White Rock, then they're sexlinks, with darker chicks being girls. Otherwise they're going to be a messy mix of red, buff, cream and white.

How Tue is that for everyone with chicken

They look a lot like Amber Whites which yes are mutts

Back
Top Bottom