Incubators Anonymous

two comments.

i would buy a "y" for the light socket and use two smaller bulbs incase one blows.

I would look at temps on each corner to make sure that single fan is doing its job. anoher high up on the opposite wall may supplement air flows.

This is a great bator. Really nice finish. Well done

actually did this 20 mins ago, added a "y" another 72 watt halogen, and added another thermometer, in opposite corner, single fan seems to do the job, having the heat sinks under the turner helps as well, I have never tried the dry hatch method, may give it a try as the weather here warms up, and I can collect eggs from my Cochin pair, (Duane Urches, bloodline) I have hatched chicks from them before, very nice Black Cochins. The eggs I have set now in a different bator are on day 19, Salmon Faverolles.

I am on day 15 of a dry hatch and dh told me he filled BOTH water compartments of my Brinsea at the beginning. I swear he is obsessed with the humidity since he talked to his cousin (a chicken farmer) about it.
barnie.gif
These are *MY* chickens and unless you are turning them, do not touch!

Just from reading on BYC and experience from the last hatch, although it went ok...my gut tells me to dry hatch until day 18. I am *SO* mad that he was interfering with my 'research'. Grrrrrr. Our first hatch the humidity got TOO high and suffocated some pipped and zipped babies.
hmm.png

FOR SALE OR TRADE: One dh in exchange for hatching eggs.
lol.png

I am on day 15 of a dry hatch and dh told me he filled BOTH water compartments of my Brinsea at the beginning. I swear he is obsessed with the humidity since he talked to his cousin (a chicken farmer) about it.
barnie.gif

Just from reading on BYC and experience from the last hatch, although it went ok...my gut tells me to dry hatch until day 18. I am *SO* mad that he was interfering with my 'research'. Grrrrrr. Our first hatch the humidity got TOO high and suffocated some pipped and zipped babies.
hmm.png

lol.png

That is right no water till day 18 and do not let others touch your incubator.....
How did your last candling go every thing looking good or what ???????

gander007
old.gif

barnie.gif

hmm.png

lol.png
I am a DH, don't trade us in, buy us our own incubator.
old.gif

barnie.gif

hmm.png

lol.png
what was the humidity at that time? On my R-Com I run it at 35% the first 18 days. last year when I got it i did it at 45% and was getting great hatches so hopefully you will be ok.

you put any water in my genesis and it shoots up to 50-55% so I am debating trying to dry hatch in that one until lock down. I hope i can keep the humidity steady at that time. we run our fireplace this time a year a lot. along with drafty windows those are a foam incubators worst nightmare

ohh and a 7 1/2 month old Bengal Cat that likes to sit on it doesn't help either

Last edited:
Hatch day again today.... I love hatch days
smile.png
.. I have 21 black and blue copper eggs in there... so far yet again no spashes...

they are only half done, maybe i will get one soon... (ok so now i have to go back to doing taxes Uggggg......)

Last edited:
what was the humidity at that time? On my R-Com I run it at 35% the first 18 days. last year when I got it i did it at 45% and was getting great hatches so hopefully you will be ok.

you put any water in my genesis and it shoots up to 50-55% so I am debating trying to dry hatch in that one until lock down. I hope i can keep the humidity steady at that time. we run our fireplace this time a year a lot. along with drafty windows those are a foam incubators worst nightmare

ohh and a 7 1/2 month old Bengal Cat that likes to sit on it doesn't help either
Styros are not the best in a room with swinging temps. The heater element is only 20-35 watts and it has trouble keeping up.

One solution is to put the bator on a plywood box.

You can also get a little styro and fill in the windows until lockdown. They lose a lot of heat

Styros are not the best in a room with swinging temps. The heater element is only 20-35 watts and it has trouble keeping up.

One solution is to put the bator on a plywood box.

You can also get a little styro and fill in the windows until lockdown. They lose a lot of heat
Good idea. By mid next month our temps should start to moderate . it is holding real steady temp wise just humidity swings.
maybe ill try a dry hatch in it next time

Hey guys!! So finally my incubator will be here monday !!! But i have a question, they sent me 40 coturnix quail eggs and my husband wants to hatch them can i set them with my chicken eggs? just set them a few days later and they will hatch together ??

and I am going to try dry hatch, in my house my humidity is sitting at 30 so would a dry hatch be okay??

thanks

Back
Top Bottom